Dr Brad Gyori
- 01202 961245
- bgyori at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Digital Storytelling (Broadcast)
- Weymouth House W313, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Brad Gyori is a Senior Lecturer in Digital Storytelling at Bournemouth University. He holds a PhD in Rhetoric and Composition from Arizona State University and has taught both media theory and production at ASU and the Tribeca Flashpoint Academy in downtown Chicago. As a television writer-producer, he has worked for such networks as MTV, VH1, FX, E! and HBO online. For ten years, he was the Head Writer of the Emmy award winning Talk Soup. He has been nominated for five Emmys. Currently, Brad's research focuses on interactive and locative narratives as tools to educate participants and celebrate cultural heritage. His articles have appeared in Interactive Storytelling, The Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Journalism Education, The Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-based Learning and Flow. In 2014, his play Desolation Angels was presented as a staged reading by Chicago's Steppenwolf theatre. He is currently collaborating with documentary filmmaker Mat Charles to create Target BACRIM, a serious video game focusing on Colombian street gangs... He is also writing and designing Shelley's Heart, a playable story-app and interactive theatre experience featuring modern alter egos of Mary Shelley and the romantic poets.more
- Gyori, B. and Charles, M., 2017. Designing Journalists: Teaching Journalism Students to Think Like Web Designers. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator.
- Gyori, B., 2016. POV X 3: Helping journalism students juxtapose author, actor and audience. Journalism Education, 5 (2), 27-36.
- Charles, M. and Gyori, B., 2015. Target: BACRIM. Combining fact and fiction to create an interactive documentary game. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9445.
- Gyori, B., 2013. Fair and Balanced Philosophy. Flow, 17 (11).
- Gyori, B., 2013. Ethics of Exposure. Flow, 17 (08).
- Gyori, B., 2013. Flow Favorites: Ethics of Exposure. Flow, 17 (13).
- Gyori, B., 2013. Mentorship Modes: Strategies for Influencing Interactive Learners. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning.
- Gyori, B., 2013. Naming Neda: Digital Discourse and the Rhetorics of Association. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, 57 (4), 482-503.
- Gyori, B., 2012. Breaking Dad. Flow, 17 (04).
- Gyori, B., 2015. Britain's Got Tories: Yank Scholar on U.K. Lifestyle Politics. In: Jackson, D.A.N. and Thorsen, E., eds. UK Election Analysis 2015: Media, Voters and the Campaign: Early reflections from UK leading academics. Bournemouth University: Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community, 87.
- Adrian Butterworth, 2019. NARRATOLOGY AND SHORT FORM VIDEO an enquiry into South Korean Digital Multimedia Broadcasts
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- IFLab Code Booster, Target BACRIM, 01 Nov 2016, Leipzig, German
- IFLab Design Booster, Target BACRIM, 16 Aug 2016, Malmo, Sweden
- IFLab. Story Booster, Target BACRIM workshop, 10 May 2016, Leuven, Belgium
- AoIR (The Association of Internet Researchers), data-storytelling workshop, 05 Oct 2016, Berlin, Germany
- MES (Media Education Summit), POV X 3, 20 Nov 2015, Boston, Emerson University
- ICIDS (The International Conference of Interactive Digital Storytelling, Target BACRIM: Blurring Fact and Fiction to Create an Interactive Documentary Game, 01 Dec 2015, Denmark at Aalborg University’s campus in central Copenhagen
- Communication Media Managers Association (CMMA), 20 Nov 2014, Pasadena, CA
- Best Special Class Writing: Talk Soup (Emmy Awards, 1996)
- Best Special Class Programming: Talk Soup (Emmy Awards, 1995)
- Best Special Class Writing: Talk Soup (Emmy Awards, 1995)
- Nomination, Best Special Class Programming: Talk Soup (Emmy Awards, 1996)
- Nomination, Best Special Class Writing: Talk Soup (Emmy Awards, 1997)
- Gold Medal, Dramatic Screenplay: Variations on a Dream (Houston Worldfest, 2003)
- Semi-finalist: Variations on a Dream (Sundance Screenwriter’s Lab, 2004)
- Finalist, Dramatic Screenplay: Mystic Hour (Austin Film Festival, 2005)