Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Prior to joining Bournemouth University as a lecturer, I was a Diabetes Specialist Nurse at the Bournemouth Diabetes and Endocrine Centre, where I worked for over 12 years.
I am especially interested in health promotion and specifically obesity prevention. The primary focus of my main research project was the prevention of childhood obesity through the reduction in consumption of carbonated drinks The CHOPPS (Christchurch Obesity Prevention Programme in Schools), often referred to as the “Ditch the Fizz” project was a large school based interventional project.
- Woadden, J. and James, J., 2018. Weight loss interventions for overweight and obese patients in primary care: A literature review. Practice Nursing, 29 (10), 1-10.
- Chelvanayagam, S. and James, J., 2018. What is diabulimia and what are the implications for practice? British Journal of Nursing, 27 (17), 980-986.
- Barnard, K., James, J., Kerr, D., Adolfsson, P., Runion, A. and Serbedzija, G., 2016. Impact of Chronic Sleep Disturbance for People Living with T1 Diabetes. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, 10 (3), 762-767.
- Kerr, D., Nicholls, H. and James, J., 2008. Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII insulin pump therapy) for type 1 diabetes: a Bournemouth perspective. Practical Diabetes International, 25, 114-117.
- James, J., Thomas, P. and Kerr, D., 2007. Preventing childhood obesity: two year follow-up results from the Christchurch obesity prevention programme in schools (CHOPPS). British Medical Journal, 335, 762-764.
- James, J., 2004. Erratum: Preventing childhood obesity by reducing consumption of carbonated drinks: Cluster randomised controlled trial (British Medical Journal (22 May) (1237)). British Medical Journal, 328 (7450), 1236.
- James, J., Thomas, P., Cavan, D.A. and Kerr, D., 2004. Preventing childhood obesity by reducing consumption of carbonated drinks: cluster randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal, 328, 1236-1240.
- James, J. and Kerr, D., 2004. Prevention of childhood obesity by reducing soft drinks. International Journal of Obesity, 29, S54-S57.
- Kerr, D. and James, J., 2002. Nutrition, physical activity, and obesity (Letter). The Lancet, 360, 1249.
- Summers, J.B. and Kaminski, J.M., 2002. Nutrition, physical activity, and obesity. LANCET, 360 (9341), 1249.
- Summers, J.B., Kaminski, J.M., Kerr, D., James, J., Das, U.N., Meguid, M.M. and Jacobson, M.F., 2002. Nutrition, physical activity, and obesity  (multiple letters). Lancet, 360 (9341), 1249-1250.
- James, J. and Penfold, S., 2016. Enhancing Diabetes Education in the undergraduate-nursing curriculum. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2-4 March 2016 Glasgow.
- James, J., Cross, C. and Cavan, D., 2013. Specialist care in the community highlights hypoglycaemia in patients with poorly controlled diabetes. In: Diabetes UK 13-15 March 2013 Manchester.
- James, Thomas P and Kerr, D., 2006. Preventing Childhood Obesity: 2 year follow-up results following a simple school based intervention. In: International Diabetes Federation 3-7 December 2006 Cape Town.
- James, J., Thomas, P., Cavan, D.A. and Kerr, D., 2004. Longitudinal Results from CHOPPS (Christchurch Obesity Prevention Project in Schools). In: 40th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes 5-9 September 2004 Munich, Germany.
- James, J., Thomas, P., Cavan, D.A. and Kerr, D., 2003. CHOPPS: The Christchurch Obesity Prevention Programme in Schools. In: IDF-Paris 2003: 18th International Diabetes Federation Congress 24-29 August 2003 Paris, France.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Physical Health needs of Older People
- Foundations for Practice Nursing
- Unit Leader Long Term Conditions Unit
Profile of Teaching UG
- Reviewing the Literature to Inform Pratice
- Service Improvement Project
- Anatomy and Physiology Through the Lifespan
- Care of clients with acute and long term conditions
- My Health and Wellbeing
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing
- Developing Knowledge for Practice
- Evaluating Knowledge for Practice (Level 6)
- Identifying Knowledge for Practice
- Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitial NHS Foundation Trust, Hononary Contract (2014-)
- Diabetes UK Professional Conference, Enhancing Diabetes Education in the undergraduate-nursing curriculum, 02 Mar 2016, Glasgow
- PhD in Prevention of Childhood obesity (Southampton University, 2013)
- BNursing in Nursing (University of Witwatersrand, 1996)
- PGCE in Nursing Education (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- Nursing Times Awards - Winner; Nutrition Category (Nursing Times Awards- 2004, 2004)
- Winner - Roche International Obesity Award for Medical Journalism (Roche International Obesity Award for Medical Journalism, 2003)
- The Band Trust Reasearch Award (The Florence Nighingale Foundation, 2004)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
- Nursing Midwifery Council (NMC), Member (1997-),
- RCN, Member,