Dr Paula Callus
- 01202 965865
- pcallus at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Computer Animation
- Weymouth House W249, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
- Callus, P., 2017. Remediations of Nonfiction: Animation, Interactivity and Documentary from Africa. Critical Interventions.
- Callus, P. and Potter, C., 2017. Michezo Video: Nairobi’s gamers and the developers who are promoting local content. Critical African Studies, 9 (3), 302-326.
- Callus, P., 2015. Animation, fabrication, photography: Reflections upon the intersecting practices of sub-Saharan artists within the moving image. African Arts, 48 (3), 58-69.
- Callus, P., 2013. Book review: Animating Difference: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in Contemporary Films for Children. Animation: an interdisciplinary journal, 8 (3), 301-304.
- Callus, P., 2013. Animating Difference: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in Contemporary Films for Children. ANIMATION-AN INTERDISCIPLINARY JOURNAL, 8 (3), 301-304.
- Callus, P., 2012. Reading Animation through the Eyes of Anthropology: A Case Study of sub-Saharan African Animation. Animation: an interdisciplinary journal, 7 (2), 113-130.
- Callus, P., 2010. Animation as a socio-political commentary: an analysis of the animated films of Congolese director Jean Michel Kibushi. Journal of African Media Studies, 2, 55-71.
- Callus, P., 2016. Animation in Morocco: New Generations. Animation in the Middle East: Practice and Aesthetics from Baghdad to Casablanca. London: I.B. tauris.
- Callus, P., 2016. The Rise of Kenyan Political Animation: Tactics of Subversion. In: Tejumola, O. and Limb, P., eds. Taking African Cartoon Art Seriously: Satire, Politics and Culture. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press.
- Callus, P., 2010. Reflections on animation… An interview by Paula Callus with J.M. Kibushi. Through African Eyes: Conversations with the Directors. New York: African Film Festival Inc.
- Callus, P., 2015. The Rise of Kenyan Political Animation: Tactics of Subversion. In: ASA (African Studies Association) 19-24 November 2014 Indianapolis, US.
- Callus, P., 2014. Sub-Saharan Animation: The Internet as a Living Digital Archive. In: "Arts Council of the African Studies Association 19-22 March 2014 USA, New York.
- Callus, P., 2010. Reading animation through the eyes of anthropology. In: ACUB Animation Symposium 30 March 2010.
- Callus, P., 2010. Sub-Saharan Africa Animation: Cases of Subversivity. In: SOAS, University of London Anthropology of Media Seminar 3 February 2010 SOAS, London.
- Efstathiou, S. and Callus, P., 2010. Using animation as a tool in Primary School Education - Greek Mythology. In: Using animation as a tool in Primary School Education - Greek Mythology June 2010 Hillview Primary School, Bournemouth, England.
- Callus, P., 2009. An Overview of the History of African Animation. In: A3 Genesis, Kenya , Association of Animation Artistes Kenya 15 August 2009 British Council, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Callus, P., 2009. Aspects of Sub-Saharan Animation. In: Guest Lecture for Aspects of African Film and Video 17 March 2009 SOAS, London.
- Esthathiou, S. and Callus, P., 2009. Using animation as a tool in Primary School Education. In: Animation as a tool in Primary School Education March-April 2009 Hillview Primary School, Bournemouth, England.
- Callus, P., 2008. African Animation - Overview and Workshops. In: Africa at the Pictures, London African Film Festival 7 December 2008 The October Gallery, Holborn, London.
- Callus, P., 2008. Guest Speaker on African Animation. In: Cambridge African Film Festival 22 November 2008 Centre of African Studies, Cambridge, England.
- Callus, P., 2008. African Animation Screenings - Children's Programme and Adult Programme. In: Curated Screenings for Africa in Motion, Film Festival, Edinburgh 31 October 2008 FilmHouse, Edinburgh, Scotland. Africa In Motion.
- Callus, P. and Esthathiou, S., 2008. Using Animation as a learning tool in Primary Education. In: Using Animation as a learning tool in Primary Education 2008 Hillview Primary School, Bournemouth, England.
- Callus, P., 2017. Animating the DRC: Interview with Congolese Animator Jean-Michel Kibushi. Documentary Educational Resources. Available from: http://www.der.org/community/news.php.
- Callus, P., 2008. Creative Comment and Critique: Animation filmmaking in Africa. Africa in Motion. Available from: http://www.africa-in-motion.org.uk/category/resources/articles/.
- Callus, P.. Animated Networks in Morocco. http://moroccancinema.exeter.ac.uk/en/2017/06/animated-networks-in-morocco/.
- Callus, P.. Animating the DRC: Interview with Congolese Animator Jean-Michel Kibushi. Available from: http://der.org/community/news/animating-the-drc-interview-with-congolese-animator-jean-michel-kibushi.
- Callus, P.. Animated Networks in Morocco. Available from: http://moroccancinema.exeter.ac.uk/en/2017/06/animated-networks-in-morocco/.
- Callus, P., 2016. Animation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Trajectories of Ideas and Practices. PhD Thesis. Art and Archeology Department, SOAS, University of London.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Personal Inquiry
- Computer Animation Techniques
- Moving Image Theory and Practice
Profile of Teaching UG
- Computer Animation Specialist Production
- Computer Animation Arts Specialist Production
- Major Project and Report
- Aesthetic and Techniques
- Moving Image Theory 2
- Moving Image Theory 1
Discourse Analysis and Animated Documentary, RCA (Royal College of Arts), London, 31 Jan 2017 more
Guest Lecturer for the RCA Documentary Animation Postgraduate Degree
Social and political engagement in SubSaharan ani, African Studies Centre, University of Oxford, 25 Feb 2016 more
African Studies Seminar
- Research Output Champion, REF UOA34
- PoW Design Futures Symposium, Tactical Narratives in Digital Media, 28 Nov 2015, London College of Fashion
- Design Futures in Sub-Saharan Africa: Post-Western Perspectives, TACTICS OF TRANSGRESSION COMPLICITY AND AUTONOMY IN THE MOVING IMAGE, 28 Nov 2015, London College of Fashion
- London Film and Media Conference, 2013, 29 Jun 2013, University of London
- ACASA March 2014 (Arts Council of African Studies Association, New York), 19 Mar 2014, Brooklyn Museum
- ASA November 2014 (African Studies Association, Indianapolis), 19 Nov 2014, Indianapolis, US
- BA (Hons) in Communications and Psychology (University of Malta, 1995)
- MA in Computer Animation (Bournemouth University, 2001)
- MA in Anthropology of Media (SOAS, University of London, 2005)
- PhD in Art and Archeology (SOAS, University of London, 2016)
The data on this page was last updated at 04:05 on March 24, 2018.