- 01202 965866
- ssloan at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Computer Animation
- Weymouth House W234, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
- Anderson, E.F. and Sloan, S., 2020. Recreating Past and Present: An Exceptional Student-Created Virtual Heritage Experience. In: Eurographics 2020 25-29 May 2020 Norrköping, Sweden. Eurographics 2020 - Education Papers, Eurographics 2020 - Education Papers, 27-28 The Eurographics Association.
- Sloan, S., Meigh-Andrews, D.C. and Ball, S., 2010. Motion capture portraits. In: The Idea of Digitality in a Post-Digital Age 10-17 December 2010 P3 Gallery, University of Westminster, London, England.
- Sloan, S., Cholodenko, A., Hamlyn, N. and Leslie, E., 2010. Animating Stillness. Motion Capture Portraits. In: Animation Deviation 14 July 2010 Watershed Media Centre, Bristol, England. Watershed Media Centre Bristol: University of the West of England.
- Sloan, S., Stepien, H. and Cheryl, M.. Digital Storytelling and Indigenous Language Rights. Films by the Quijos Nation.
- Sloan, S., Collins, S., Hardie, P., Head, T., Isley, V., Smith, P., Hamman, S. and Sloan, H., 2011. Broken Stillness group exhibition.. Moving Image, Animation. Broken Stillness. Salisbury Art Centre, England. 9 March-21 April 2011.
- Sloan, S., Steller, H. and Horitz, G., 2006. Cover to Cover. Exhibition. Cover to Cover. Bournemouth Library, Bournemouth, England. 26 October-16 December 2006.
- Sloan, S.. Studies in Stillness: Motion Capture Portraits. The Photographers' Gallery, London.. Animation and Motion Capture. Studies in Stillness: Motion Capture Portraits. The Photographers Gallery,London, W1F 7LW. 11 July-14 August 2012.
- Sloan, S.. Uncontainable: Broken Stillness. International Symposium of Electronic Art, Istanbul. 3D Animation, Motion Capture. ISEA2011. The 17th International Symposium of Electronic Art. Sirket-i Hayriye Art Gallery, Istanbul. 14-21 September 2011.
- Sloan, S., Vanner, A., McCretton, N. and Hodge, S., 2008. Viral Duets. Second Life online virtual world.
- Sloan, S., 2008. Mother and Daughter.
- Sloan, S., 2007. Me and Mrs Sloan. ArtSway Gallery, New Forest. Millais Gallery, Southampton.
- Sloan, S., 2006. Still Lives #3.
- Sloan, S., 2003. Three Way Conversation. Siggraph Art Gallery, San Diego; Atrium Art Gallery Bournmouth University.
- Sloan, S., 2001. Figure in Motion. Various locations.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Level 5 Group Project. Live professional and set briefs
- Level 4 - Fundamentals of Design
- Level 5 Design for Production 2
- Level 5 - Computer Animation Production 2
- Level 4 Design for Production 1
- Level 6 Major Project and Report
- Level 5 Production Design - BA Film (contribution)
- Advanced VFX Techniques (contribution)
Animation Programme, Ecuador, Quito and Napo Province, Ecuador, 01 Aug 2018 more
Digital Storytelling and Indigenous Language Rights. I was a member of the multi-disciplinary teaching team based at BU partner Universidad de las Americas, Quito, Ecuador and Amupakin, Napo Province, delivering a summer school programme in Digital Storytelling and Indigenous Language Rights in the Amazon. http://marketing.udla.edu.ec/shortcourses/public/summerschool2018. The summer school was part of an ongoing project, directed by Quijos Nation members to document the Quijos language and cultural practices. This resulted in the production of film and animation projects to promote and document the language of Shillipanu. Contributors include Etsa Sharupi (Quijos Nation), Ana Chaves (UDLA), Andrea Mino (UDLA), Cheryl Martens (Universidad San Francisco de Quito), Ian Martin (York University, Canada), Hilary Stepien (Bournemouth University). Links to films. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeKn0FLrmfI&fbclid=IwAR230bttwuwGJn2DreNC7mFP9TLBXWmcdNjjNZRVXcsoE-KZYDQ1ralyyk0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8w-Pw-hl0&fbclid=IwAR3SmQ7gbZTdz0JBqMPhLHcGRZhKjMs_BMzNAOkfPSmFm_mE8n_ldXN6P48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX06loG5zm8&fbclid=IwAR2258tnDx7onLhXRQRP_g08xaP1_lh_NRB68XAYLoHT-YktjLj5BgU6YbA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxwDMPf1Nfc&fbclid=IwAR0shgdCoH_EsGnCFdploW81oPR4jwG824w_4xG2pyuAPlUav-czAM1fr2w
Digital Communication and Community Organisation, Quito and Napo Province, Ecuador, 01 Jul 2017 more
I was a member of the multi-disciplinary teaching team based at Universidad de las Americas, Quito, Ecuador and Amupakin, Napo Province delivering BU partnership summer school in Digital Communication and Community Organisation. The summer school was attended by students from universities in Ecuador, Canada and UK, including Bournemouth University. https://www.udla.edu.ec/udla-bournemouth-university-summer-school-digital-communication-and-community-organization/ . The summer school was launched with a symposium with invited speakers Connecting Communities: Towards open, free and sustainable citizen communication. http://elchuro.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Connecting_Communitie__Symposium_-_Call_for_papers.pdf. The aim of the summer school was to work in multi-disciplinary teams directed by Quijos Nation members to document Quijos language and cultural practices using digital communication tools and social media strategies. This resulted in the production of film and animation projects for a Youtube channel Quijos Naoqui. To date 17 undergraduate students from Bournemouth University have contributed to the summer school. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbBbeCgNaD43E5buKJC9gw/videos and a Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quijos-Quichua. Contributors include Etsa Sharupi (Quijos Nation), Ana Acosta (El Churo), Anne Schwarz (Centre for General Linguistics), Cheryl Martens (UDLA)Hilary Stepien and Mike Wilmore (Bournemouth University).
Communication Summer Academy, Universidad de las Americas, Quito, Ecuador, 01 Aug 2015 more
Guest lecturer at Bournemouth University partner Universidad de las Americas, Quito, Ecuador. Designed and delivered a week long unit in Computer Animation for students and professionals as part of the Communication Summer Academy August 1st to 9th 2015
- The Glasgow School of Art, External Examiner for Mphil Thesis students (2010-2011), http://www.gsa.ac.uk/research/research-centres/school-of-simulation-and-visualisation/
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe Submissions Panel (11 Jan 2019)
- PGCE in Research Degree Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- MPhil in 2D/3D Motion Graphics and Virtual Prototyping (The Glasgow School of Art, 2001)
- BA (Hons) in Fine Art, Sculpture (Robert Gordon University, Grays School of Art, 1991)
- Member of Visual Research Group, NCCA, Bournemouth University. Affiliated member of EMERGE research centre, Bournemouth University