Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Tom Davis is a lecturer in Music and Audio Technology and is currently the Head of Research for the Creative Technology Department. In addition to PhD supervision he teaches on the BSc and Masters programmes. Davis is also a practicing artist working mainly in the realm of sound installation and live performance. Davis has exhibited and performed throughout Europe and in the United States and holds a PhD from the Sonic Arts Research Centre, Belfast.
Instrument building; Technologically mediated Improvisation; Enaction, Embodiment, Post-Phenomenology, Sonic Art, Genrative Art, Participation in Music as Practice, and situations that examine the interface between music and technology.
- Davis, T., 2012. Complexity as Practice: A Reflection on the Creative Outcomes of a Sustained Engagement with Complexity. Leonardo, 45 (2), 106-112.
- Davis, T., 2011. Towards a Relational Understanding of the Performance Ecosystem. Organised Sound, 16, 120-124.
- Davis, T., 2010. On Listening to Installation. Performance Research: A Journal of the Performing Arts, 15, 66-71.
- Davis, T., 2010. Complexity as Process: Complexity Inspired Approaches to Composition. Organised Sound, 15 (2), 137-146.
- Davis, T. and Ward, N., 2010. Ordnance Survey: Exploring Activity through Large Scale Topologies and Auditory Mappings. Parsons Journal for Information Mapping, 2.
- Davis, T., 2010. The Ear of the Beholder: Ecology, Embodiment and Complexity in Sound Installation. Leonardo Electronic Almanac.
- Hammersley, J., O'Reilly, S. and Renaud, A., 2012. LIVENESS. EMERGE -Experimental Media Research Imprint.
- Davis, T., 2017. The Feral Cello: A Philosophically Informed Approach to an Actuated Instrument. In: New Interfaces for Musical Expression 15-19 May 2017 Copenhagen.
- Ward, A., Woodbury, L. and Davis, T., 2017. Design Considerations for Instruments for Users with Complex Needs in SEN Settings. In: New Interfaces for Musical Expression 15-18 May 2017 Copenhagen.
- Davis, T., 2016. Resitive Intentionality: Examining the instrumental interface. In: Sonorities Symposium 2016 26 November 2016 Queen's University Belfast.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P., 2016. Ambiguous Devices: Improvisation, agency, dialogue and touch in technologically-mediated performance. In: Interagency In Technologically Mediated Performance 29-30 January 2016 Bournemouth University.
- Davis, T., 2015. An exploration of technological agency in improvisational contexts. In: DMRN+10: Digital Music Research Network One-day Workshop 2015 22 December 2015 Queen Mary University of London.
- Davis, T., Geistweidt, J., Renaud, A. and Dixon, J., 2012. Interfacing the Network: An Embedded Approach to Network Instrument Creation. In: International Computer Music Conference, ICMC 2012 9-14 September 2012 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Davis, T., 2012. The Loop: A distributed instrument approach to networked performance. In: Symposium for Performance of Electronic and Experimental Music 6-7 January 2012 University of Oxford.
- Davis, T., 2008. Cross-Pollination: Towards an aesthetics of the real. In: ICMC 2008. International Computer Music Conference 24-29 August 2008 Sonic Arts Research Centre, Queens University, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Davis, T. and Karamanlis, O., 2007. Gestural control of sonic swarms: Composing with grouped sound objects. In: 4th Sound and Music Computing Conference 11-13 July 2007 Lefkada, Greece.
- Davis, T. and Rebelo, P., 2007. Environments for sonic ecologies. In: Evoworkshops Valencia. Springer-Verlag, 508-516.
- Davis, T. and Rebelo, P., 2005. Natural Selection: A Stethoscopic Amphibious Installation. In: GA2005: Generative Art Conference 15-17 December 2005 Milan, Italy.
- Davis, T. and Rebelo, P., 2005. Hearing Emergence: Towards Sound-Based Self-Organisation. In: Proceedings of ICMC2005: International Computer Music Conference September 2005 Barcelona, Spain.
- Davis, T. and McKinney, C., 2012. Flow. Sound Installation. Tiny Tate. Tate Britain.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P., 2012. Ambiguous Devices. Installation. New Interfaces for Musical Expression. NIME 2012. Ann Arbor, Michigan & Bournemouth University, England. 21-23 May 2012.
- Davis, T., 2011. Working Title. Mixed Media. Working Title. Aspex Contemporary Art Gallery. Portsmouth. 5-18 September 2011.
- Davis, T., Renaud, A. and McKinney, C., 2010. Flow. Mixed. Public Domain. Bournemouth Lower Gardens. 16-18 July 2010.
- Davis, T. and Ward, N., 2009. Ordnance Survey. Mixed. Hilltown New Music Festival. Hilltown, County Westmeath, Ireland. 18-19 July 2009.
- Davis, T., 2009. Bus Stop. Mixed. Oxford Contemporary. OVADA, Oxford. 7 February-21 March 2009.
- Davis, T., 2008. Rules and Regs. Mixed. Rules and Regs. Aspace gallery, Southampton. 1 May-2 June 2008.
- Davis, T., 2007. Cross-Pollination. Mixed. FIX'07 International Performance Festival. Catalyst Arts, Belfast. 26-29 November 2007.
- Davis, T. and O'Modhrain, S., 2007. Radio Streams. Mixed. Enaction in Arts. Enaction in Arts, Fort de la Bastille, Grenoble. 19-24 November 2007.
- Davis, T., 2006. Cycle Sonic. Bring the Noise. Catalyst Arts, Belfast. 16-29 October 2006.
- Davis, T., 2006. Excuse Me!. International Conference on Auditory Display. ICAD, Queen Mary University, London. 20-23 June 2006.
- Davis, T., 2005. Natural Selection. Musica Viva. Musica Viva, Lisbon, Portugal. 17-24 September 2005.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Performance. NIME 2012, Ann Arbor, Michigan and Bournemouth University. 21-23 May 2012.
- Davis, T., Geistweit, J., Renaud, A.R. and Dixon, J.. The Loop. Network Music Festival, Birmingham. 27-29 January 2012.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Stanford USA & Bournemouth UK. 27 April 2012.
- Davis, T. and Reid, L.. Gemmeleg.. Performance for the Feral Cello. Sound Music Computing Conference, Helsinki. 5-8 July 2017.
- Troisi, A., Davis, T., Amelidis, P. and Seddon, A.. nonRecursive. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room, The Old Fire Station. 1 May 2018.
- Davis, T. and Reid, L.. Gemmeleg. Performance for the Feral Cello. NIME 2017, Black Diamond, Copenhagen. 18 May 2017.
- Davis, T. and Reid, L.. Gemmeleg. Performance for the Feral cello. Noisefloor 2017, Staffordshire University, Stoke On Trent. 4 May 2017.
- Davis, T., Geistweidt, J., Renaud, A. and Dixon, J.. The Loop. NIME 2011, Oslo, Norway. 30 May-1 June 2011.
- Davis, T., Geistweidt, J., Renaud, A. and Dixon, J.. The Loop. arts.on.wires, Oslo, Norway. 25-29 May 2011.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Performance. INTIME, Coventry University. 19-20 October 2013.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Performance. Re-New 2013, Copenhagen. 28 October-3 November 2013.
- Davis, T., Troisi, A., Seddon, A., Thompson, B., Canning, R. and Chiaramonte, A.. NonRecursive. Performance. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room. 15 October 2015.
- Davis, T., Troisi, A., Seddon, A., Canning, R., Thompson, B., Chiaramonte, A. and Borgo, D.. NonRecursive @ Symposium on Interagency in Technologically-Mediated Performance. Performance. Bournemouth University. 29 January 2016.
- Katy Connor
- Asha Ward
- Liam Birtles
- Increasing access to Music: Music Technology in Special Educational Needs (SEN) settings. (HIEF5+1+1, 01 Aug 2016). In Progress
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- 'The co-creation of unit assessments based on the principles of ‘backward design' - Staff and students from across three faculties at Bournemouth University set about exploring ways to work collaboratively on assessment. The outcome was an exploratory workshop in which staff and students from Science & Technology, Health & Social Sciences, and Media & Communication set out to co-create assessment for some of each of their programmes’ units. The workshop was filmed by a small team of Media Production students.
- PhD in Sonic Art (Queen's University Belfast, 2008)
- MA in Communication Media: Creative Sound Production (University of the West of England, 2004)
- BSc (Hons) in Physics with Music (University of Edinburgh, 2001)
- PGCert in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2015)