Dr Sue Green
- 01202 961782
- sgreen at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
- Bournemouth House B236, 19 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LH
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Sue joined the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences in 2018 from the University of Southampton. A Registered Nurse with experience in acute and continuing care environments, Sue has been at the forefront of the development of clinical academic careers for nurses. She held funded clinical academic posts, combining research and clinical work from 2009 to 2018. Sue continues to work clinically as a Nutrition Nurse seconded to Solent NHS Trust. Extensive experience of teaching and learning in higher education enables Sue to work with students undertaking all levels of study, from first year undergraduate to PhD level. Sue’s research programme focuses on aspects of clinical nutrition, particularly nutritional care by nurses. She has a long standing interest in the process of nutritional screening and its effect on nutritional care.
- Heelan, M., Prieto, J., Roberts, H., Gallant, N., Barnes, C. and Green, S., 2020. The use of finger foods in care settings: an integrative review. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 33 (2), 187-197.
- Green, S.M., Townsend, K., Jarrett, N., Westoby, C. and Fader, M., 2019. People with enteral tubes and their carers' views of living with a tube and managing associated problems: A qualitative interview study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 28 (19-20), 3710-3720.
- Green, S.M., Townsend, K., Jarrett, N. and Fader, M., 2019. The experiences and support needs of people living at home with an enteral tube: a qualitative interview study. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 32 (5), 646-658.
- Harris, P.S., Green, S.M. et al., 2019. Barriers and facilitators to screening and treating malnutrition in older adults living in the community: A mixed-methods synthesis. BMC Family Practice, 20 (1).
- McGarry, J.R., Pope, C. and Green, S.M., 2018. Perioperative nursing: maintaining momentum and staying safe. Journal of Research in Nursing, 23 (8), 727-739.
- Green, S., 2018. Interview with Sue Green. Br J Community Nurs, 23 (Sup7), S34.
- Jensen, P.S., Green, S.M., Petersen, J., Andersen, O. and Poulsen, I., 2018. Perceptions and experiences of nutritional care following the overwhelming experience of lower extremity amputation: A qualitative study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 27 (5-6), e808-e819.
- Pratt, J. and Green, S., 2017. Removal of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tubes in adults using the “cut and push” method: A systematic review. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN, 21, 59-65.
- Edmunds, C. and Green, S., 2017. What makes a mother wean early? Community Practitioner, 90 (6), 42-44.
- Holt, I.G.S., Green, S.M. and Nelson, E.A., 2016. Oral nutritional supplements for treating venous leg ulcers. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2016 (5).
- Stevens, A.K., Raphael, H. and Green, S.M., 2015. A qualitative study of older people with minimal care needs experiences of their admission to a nursing home with Registered Nurse care. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults, 16 (2), 94-105.
- Dinenage, S., Gower, M., Van Wyk, J., Blamey, A., Ashbolt, K., Sutcliffe, M. and Green, S.M., 2015. Development and evaluation of a home enteral nutrition team. Nutrients, 7 (3), 1607-1617.
- Green, S.M., James, E.P., Latter, S., Sutcliffe, M. and Fader, M.J., 2014. Barriers and facilitators to screening for malnutrition by community nurses: A qualitative study. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 27 (1), 88-95.
- Wells, M.J., Jamieson, K., Markham, T.C.W., Green, S.M. and Fader, M.J., 2014. The effect of caffeinated versus decaffeinated drinks on overactive bladder. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 41 (4), 371-378.
- Westwood, G., Fader, M., Roberts, L., Green, S., Prieto, J. and Bayliss-Pratt, L., 2013. Clinical leaders. Clinical academics can transform care. The Health Service Journal, 123 (6368), 28-29.
- Green, S.M. and James, E.P., 2013. Barriers and facilitators to undertaking nutritional screening of patients: A systematic review. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 26 (3), 211-221.
- Green, S.M., Martin, H.J., Roberts, H.C. and Sayer, A.A., 2011. A systematic review of the use of volunteers to improve mealtime care of adult patients or residents in institutional settings. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20 (13-14), 1810-1823.
- Green, S., 2003. Nutrition. A health promotion approach, 2nd edition. NURSE EDUCATION TODAY, 23 (4), 315.
- Green, S.M., 2002. Nutrition in clinical practice. JOURNAL OF ADVANCED NURSING, 40 (3), 371.
- Green, S., 2001. Health psychology: A textbook, 2nd edition. JOURNAL OF ADVANCED NURSING, 33 (5), 696.
- Green, S., 2019. Nutrition and health. In: Peate, I., ed. Alexander's Nursing Practice Hospital and Home. Elsevier Ltd, 541-560.
- Green, S.M., 2018. Nutritional screening. In: Hickson, M., Smith, S. and Whelan, K., eds. Advanced Nutrition and Dietetics in Nutrition Support. New York: John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 45-49.
- Green, S., 2019. Living with an enteral tube. In: Solent NHS Trust Annual Conference 2019 11 July 2019 Hilton at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton.
- Westoby, C.B., Cummings, J.R.F., Parsons, E.L. and Green, S., 2019. A pilot study investigating the use of handgrip strength as a nutritional assessment tool in adults with inflammatory bowel disease. In: British Association of Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition 20-21 November 2018 Harrogate Convention Centre. 262.
- Gallant, N.R., Green, S., Schoonhoven, L. and Collier, L., 2018. Improving meal times for people with dementia in acute hospitals: a mixed methods study. In: Alzheimer’s Association International Conference 21-26 July 2018 Chicago, USA. P1643.
- Walters, E.R., Green, S. and Bartlett, R., 2018. Carer experience of appetite changes in people living with dementia at home. In: 21st European Nutrition and Dietetics Conference 11-13 June 2018 Dublin, Ireland. 47.
- Baker-Moffatt, M., Green, S. and Wilks, S.A., 2015. SUN-PP262: Nasogastric Tube Blockage: Does Bacteria Play a Role? In: 37th ESPEN Congress 5-8 September 2015 Lisbon, Portugal. Elsevier BV, S120-S121.
- Baker-Moffatt, M., Wilks, S. and Green, S., 2015. PWE-223 Investigating biofilm formation in the lumen of sterile nasogastric tubes. In: 2nd Digestive Disorders Federation Conference 22-25 June 2015 London, UK. BMJ, A310.
- Green, S., 2019. Living with an enteral tube. PINNT. Available from: https://pinnt.com/News/News/Non-Members/Enteral-tube-the-views-of-those-with-the-tubes-a.aspx.
- Edmunds, C. and Green, S., 2017. What factors influence mothers in the UK and Ireland to wean their infants before six months of age?. Community Practitioner. Available from: https://www.communitypractitioner.co.uk/resources/2017/06/what-factors-influence-mothers-uk-and-ireland-wean-their-infants-six-months-age.
- Living with an enteral tube, 2019. Film. Bournemouth, Dorset: Bournemouth University. Available from: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/our-faculties/faculty-health-social-sciences/public-involvement-education-research/our-resources/practice-learning.
- Baker-Moffatt, M., Green, S. and Wilkes, S.A., 2015. Nasogastric tube blockage: does bacteria play a role? In: 37th ESPEN Congress.
- Winnard, C., Green, S., Baylay, A., Fader, M., Johnson, M., Keevil, C. and Wilks, S., 2020. Uncovering microbial populations in the lumen of neonatal enteral feeding tubes utilising 16s rRNA sequencing. bioRxiv 2020.03.02.972703. Published online.
- Green, S., 2019. Living with an enteral tube. Dorset: Patients on Intravenous and Naso-gastric Nutrition Treatment (PINNT). Published.
- STREAM - Screen and TREAt for Malnutrition (NIHR Programme Grant for Applied Research, 01 Jan 2017). In Progress
- Hospital admission of people receiving enteral tube feeding at home: prevalence, risk factors and exploration of interventions which promote management at home. (Health Education England (HEE) and National Institute for Health Research Integrated Clinical Academic Programme, 01 Jan 2014). Completed
- University of Southampton, Visiting Fellow at the University of Southampton (2018-2020)