Dr Ursula Rolfe
- 01202 961462
- urolfe at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Emergency Care Nursing
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Ursula is a Senior Lecturer in Emergency Care with previous clinical and teaching experience within the NHS and the voluntary sector in the United Kingdom and South Africa. She has specialised in urgent and emergency care work across the lifespan and continues to practice clinically within the NHS as a specialist paramedic.
Ursula completed a BA (Hons) in Psychology and English as well as an MPhil degree in South Africa at Stellenbosch University before moving to the UK in 2009 to take up the position of Clinical Tutor and Training Officer in South West Ambulance Service Foundation Trust. Ursula was seconded as a lecturer practitioner to the FdSc Paramedic Science degree from 2009 to 2012. She then went on to complete her BSc (Hons) in Urgent and Emergency Care in 2012 at Bournemouth University, joined Bournemouth University in 2012 full time as a lecturer and programme lead of the Paramedic Science degree. She has also led and contributed to the development of an MSc in Trauma Sciences at another institution before returning to Bournemouth University to work within the Nursing and Clinical Sciences Department... Ursula has submitted recently submitted her PhD.
Ursula's research interests include mental health, paramedic practice, primary care, emergency care and inter-professional education.more
PhD dissertation on How paramedics manage and respond to patients experiencing mental health issues
- Gugelmin-Almeida, D., Clark, C., Rolfe, U., Jones, M. and Williams, J., 2021. Dominant versus non-dominant hand during simulated infant CPR using the two-finger technique: a randomised study. Resusc Plus, 7, 100141.
- Rolfe, U., Tang, S., Brady, M., Mildenhall, J., Bowles, A. and Morgan, K., 2020. The new coronavirus disease: what we know so far. Journal of Paramedic Practice: the clinical monthly for emergency care professionals.
- Rolfe, U., Pope, C. and Crouch, R., 2020. Paramedic performance when managing patients experiencing mental health issues – exploring paramedics’ Presentation of Self. International Emergency Nursing.
- Pediatric Education for prehospital professionals. Jones and Bartlett.
- Emergency care in the streets. Jones and Bartlett.
- Rolfe, U., 2021. Assessment Skills for Paramedics. In: Blaber, A. and Harris, G., eds. Assessment Skills for Paramedics. MHE Education.
- Rolfe, U., 2020. How paramedics manage patients experiencing mental health issues in a local UK ambulance service. In: Centre of Interprofessional Collaboration within Emergency care (CICE) 21-24 October 2020 Linnaeus University Växjö.
- Rolfe, U., 2020. How paramedics manage mental health patients in a local UK ambulance trust - lessons learned. In: SWAST Research Symposium 18 March 2020 Exeter, Devon.
- Rolfe, U., 2019. How paramedics manage patients experiencing mental health issues - an study using ethnographic methods. In: Symposium on blue light mental health emergencies 6 February 2019 University of Brighton.
- Rolfe, U., 2018. The world's a stage. In: 3rd Global Conference on Emergency Nursing and Trauma Care 4-6 October 2018 Netherlands.
- Rolfe, U., 2018. Mental health calls in a 999 service, how do paramedics manage patients with mental health issues. In: BSA Medical Sociology Annual Conference 8 September 2016 Birmingham.
- Rolfe, U., 2018. It’s not easy being green - an ethnographic study on how paramedics manage patients with mental health issues. In: 2nd Global Conference on Emergency Nursing and Trauma Care 24 September 2016 Spain.
- Radford, M. and Grout, G., 2020. AP_MH Curriculum and Capabilities Framework HEE. Health Education England.
- Paramedics, C.O., 2017. Post-graduate Curriculum Guidance Document. College of Paramedics.
- Paramedics, C.O., 2015. Curriculum Guidance Document, 3rd edition revised. College of Paramedics.
- Paramedics, C.O., 2014. Curriculum Guidance Document, 3rd edition. College of Paramedics.
- Paramedics, C.O., 2013. Paramedic Career and Competency Framework 3rd Edition. College of Paramedics.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Child Minor Illness and Injury
- Developing Minor Injury Care
- Independent and supplementary non-medical prescribing
- MSc Advanced Practice
- MSc ACP
- Paramedics managing mental health (College of Paramedics, 13 Sep 2019). Awarded
- International Journal of Emergency Services, Editorial Review Board Member (2020-)
- British Paramedic Journal, Reviewer (2018-)
- Elsevier, Reviewer (2018-)
- College of Paramedics, member of Paremdic Mental Health Group (2017-)
- College of Paramedics, Mental Health Lead (2015-)
- Hertfordshire University, External Examiner (2013-)
- College of Paramedics, Paramedic Post-graduate Curriculum Development (2013-)
- College of Paramedics, Education Committe (2012-)
- Emergency Responders Research Symposium, Paramedic Mental Health Education, 30 Jan 2020, London
- Symposium on blue light mental health emergencies, “How paramedics manage patients experiencing mental health issues - an study using ethnographic methods”, 06 Feb 2019, Brighton
- Global Conference on Emergency Nursing and Trauma Care, The world's a stage, 04 Oct 2018, Netherlands
- 2nd Global Conference on Emergency Nursing and Trauma Care, It’s not easy being green - an ethnographic study on how paramedics manage patients with mental health issues, 23 Sep 2016, Spain
- BSA Medical Sociology Annual Conference, Mental health calls in a 999 service, how do paramedics manage patients with mental health issues, 08 Sep 2016, Birmingham
- HEE New Roles AHP Task and Finish group, consultancy. HEE
- Project A: Mental Health Collaborative Accelerated Design Event, consultancy. NHS England
- Ambulance and Mental Health working group, Consultancy. NHS England
- Advanced Clinical Practice for Mental Health Expert Advisory Group, Consultancy. Health Education Engalnd
- Allied Health Professions Strategic Group Dorset, Consultancy. Dorset ICS
- PhD in Paramedic Practice (University of Southampton, 2018)
- BSc (Hons) in Urgent and Emergency Care (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PGCE in Education (Open University, 2010)
- MPhil in Media Management (Stellenbosch University, 2001)
- BA (Hons) in Psychology and English (Stellenbosch University, 1998)
- Nominated for Bournemouth University VC Staff Awards (2014)
- Nominated for Bournemouth University VC Staff Awards (2013)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- NIHR ARC Wessex, Member (2020-), https://www.arc-wx.nihr.ac.uk/
- College of Paramedics, Member,
- HCPC, Member,