- 01202 962759
- pphillips at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Paramedic Science
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BG506, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Peter is lecturer in Paramedic Science. He has been a Paramedic since 2008, working in London and Dorset, and currently practices as an Emergency Care Practitioner in urgent care. Peter is currently undertaking a PhD looking at psychological resilience in newly qualified Paramedics using a longitudinal, mixed methods design.
His aim through teaching activities is to enable Bournemouth University graduates to excel in the workplace and in their Paramedic careers.
- Phillips, P. and Trenoweth, S., 2023. Crossing the ‘flaky bridge’ – the initial transitory experiences of qualifying as a paramedic: a mixed-methods study. British Paramedic Journal, 8 (1).
- Lancaster, C. and Phillips, P., 2021. How does the use of humour in the UK ambulance service affect a clinician's well-being? Br Paramed J, 6 (2), 26-33.
- Phillips, P., Darby, I., Phillips, L. and Wicks, A., 2021. Is it civic duty? An exploratory study of factors that influenced the public’s decision to download the NHS COVID-19 app. British Journal of Health Care Management, 27 (7), 194-200.
- Hart, J. and Phillips, P., 2020. What out-of-hours antibiotic prescribing practices are contributing to antibiotic resistance: a literature review. Br Paramed J, 4 (4), 25-33.
- Hart, J. and Phillips, P., 2019. Managing common end-of-life cancer presentations according to the evidence. Journal of Paramedic Practice, 11 (5).
- Phillips, P. and Searle-Barnes, S., 2017. Point-of -care testing for C-reactive protein in acute cough presentations. Journal of Paramedic Practice: the clinical monthly for emergency care professionals, 9 (1), 27-32.
- Phillips, P., 2016. Flippin' Education: A New Pedagogy for Paramedic Students? Journal of Paramedic Practice: the clinical monthly for emergency care professionals, 8 (7), 338-342.
- Phillips, P., 2015. Teaching to Encourage Deep Learning in Paramedic Science Students: A Case Study. Journal of Paramedic Practice: the clinical monthly for emergency care professionals, 7 (11), 560-567.
- Bancroft, A. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022 - Proceedings. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S., Bobeva, M., Budka, M., Clarke, S., Darby, I., Devis-Rozental, M., Holley, D., Iannuzzi, L., Phillips, P., Böckle, E., Polkinghorne, M., Stewart, N., Tait, D., Taylor, D., Thurston, J., Watson, A. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Conference 2021. Poole, Dorset, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Schroth, C. and Phillips, P., 2018. 100 Cases in UK Paramedic Practice. Routledge.
- Darby, I., Phillips, P. and Hall, S., 2022. Student Experience and the use of Technology in a post covid Teaching Landscape. In: Advance HE Teaching and Learning Conference 4-7 July 2022 Newcastle Upon Tyne.
- Darby, I. and Phillips, P., 2022. What does 'Student Experience' mean to paramedic students? In: Fusion Learning Colloquium 30 June 2022 Bournemouth University.
- Thurston, J. and Polkinghorne, M., 2022. Students as Researchers. In: Fusion Learning Conference - Innovation and Excellence in the Pandemic 28 June-29 July 2021 Bournemouth University: UK. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Phillips, P., 2019. What Factors Affect Resilience in UK Paramedics? A Structured Literature Review. In: EMS 2019 26-28 April 2019 Madrid, Spain.
- Phillips, P., 2017. Stress and Coping: Exploring the nature of resilience in UK Paramedic Practice. In: EMS Gathering 2017 3-5 May 2017 Kinsale, Ireland. Irish Journal of Paramedicine, 2 (1).
- Darby, Schroth, C. and Phillips, 2017. Standby CPD Pneumonia or just a cough?. Class Professional.
- Schroth, C. and Phillips, P., 2018. The Impact of Drug Storage Temperatures on its Efficacy in Extreme Environments: An Evidence-Based Approach. In: CoPMRE Visiting Faculty Day 2018.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Unit lead, Level 5 Pathophysiology and Pharmacology
- Unit lead, Level 6 Paramedic Care of Minor Injuries
- Unit lead, level 6 Research for Paramedics
- St Georges' University London, External Examiner BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science (2015-2018)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Bournemouth University Festival of Learning (09 Jul 2017)
- Belong at BU Filming
- Fusion Learning Conference: Innovation and Excellence in the pandemic., Developing a Community of Practice in Paramedic Science, 28 Jun 2021, Bournemouth University
- CELebrate, Changing Profession Identity, 13 Aug 2016, Bournemouth University
- PGCE in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- BSc (Hons) in Emergency and Urgent Care Practice (Bournemouth University, 2013)
- BSc (Hons) in Paramedic Science (University of Hertfordshire, 2009)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2015-),
- College of Paramedics, Member,