Dr Zhidong Xiao
- 01202 961125
- zxiao at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Computer Animation
- Weymouth House W247, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- Computer animation
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr. Xiao is currently a Principal Academic and the Programme Leader of BA(Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation programme at National Centre for Computer Animation, Faculty of Media and Communication. Dr. Xiao's research interests are in the areas of Character Animation, Machine Learning, Motion Synthesis, Physics-based Simulation, Virtual Reality and Robotics. Dr. Xiao has supervised six PhD students and three of them have successfully completed their research degrees. Working as principal investigator, Dr. Xiao has developed various enterprise activities. Dr. Xiao had successfully secured and completed a few commercial projects of 3D animation production and motion capture services for companies from China and in the UK. Working as co-investigator, Dr. Xiao has helped the team to secure and complete various research council funded projects.
- Bian, S., Deng, Z., Chaudhry, E., You, L., Yang, X., Guo, L., Ugail, H., Jin, X., Xiao, Z. and Zhang, J.J., 2019. Efficient and realistic character animation through analytical physics-based skin deformation. Graphical Models, 104.
- Gouvatsos, A. and Xiao, Z., 2018. Digital Media in 3D Animation Pre-Production. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media.
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Marsden, N. and Zhang, J., 2017. Posing 3D Models from Drawing. ACM Computers in Entertainment (CIE) - Theoretical and Practical Computer Application in Entertainment, 15 (2).
- Liu, S., Yang, X., Wang, Z., Xiao, Z. and Zhang, J., 2016. Real Time Facial Expression Transfer with Single Video Camera. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 27, 301-310.
- Zhang, M., Ge, X., Huo, J., Xiao, Z., You, L. and Zhang, J., 2016. Facial expression cloning optimization method based Laplace operator. (In Chinese). Computer Engineering and Application, 52 (6), 178-181.
- Tang, Z., Xiao, J., Feng, Y. and Xiao, Z., 2014. Sketch-based Human Motion Retrieval via 2D Geometric Posture Descriptor. Signal Processing.
- Zhang, M., Ge, X., Liu, S., Xiao, Z., You, L. and Zhang, J.J., 2014. Fast individual Facial Animation Framework Based on Motion Capture Data. Journal of Donghua University, 31 (3), 256-261.
- Gingrich, O., Renaud, A., Emets, E. and Xiao, Z., 2014. Transmission: A Telepresence Interface for Neural and Kinetic Interaction. Leonardo, MIT Press Journals,, 47 (4), 375-385.
- Xiao, Z., Nait-Cherif, H. and Zhang, J.J., 2009. Incomplete motion data reconstruction for character animation. Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference Computer Graphics, Visualization, Computer Vision and Image Processing 2009, CGVCVIP 2009. Part of the IADIS MCCSIS 2009, 89-98.
- Xiao, Z., Nait-Charif, H. and Zhang, J.J., 2009. Real time automatic skeleton and motion estimation for character animation. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 20, 523-531.
- Xiao, Z., Yang, X. and Zhang, J.J., 2005. Motion data correction and extrapolation using physical constraints. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Visualisation, 2005, 571-576.
- Matko, T., Chang, J. and Xiao, Z., 2017. Recent Progress of Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling of Animal and Human Swimming for Computer Animation. Next Generation Computer Animation Techniques: Third International Workshop, AinNex 2017. Verlag: Springer International Publishing.
- Barbieri, S., Cawthorne, B., Xiao, Z. and Yang, X., 2017. Repurpose 2D Character Animations for a VR Environment using BDH Shape Interpolation.
- Gouvatsos, A. and Xiao, Z., 2015. Sketch-Based Posing for 3D Animation. Encyclopedia of Computer Graphics and Games. Springer International Publishing.
- Xiao, Z., Nait-Charif, H. and Zhang, J.J., 2008. Automatic Estimation of Skeletal Motion from Optical Motion Capture Data. Motion in Games - First International Workshop, MIG 2008, Revised Papers. Springer, 144-153.
- Zhang, M., Ma, Y., Wang, X., Wei, W. and Xiao, Z., 2018. 3D Model Retrieval Based on Vision Feature Fusion. In: 5th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems 23-25 November 2018 Nanjing, China.
- Wu, M. and Xiao, Z., 2018. Character animation reconstruction from content based motion retrieval. In: Computer Graphics & Visual; Computing (CGVC) 2018 13-14 September 2018 Swansea, Wales.
- Matko, T., Chang, J. and Xiao, Z., 2017. Recent Progress of Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling of Animal and Human Swimming for Computer Animation. In: The 11th International conference on E-learning and Games 22-28 November 2017 United Kingdom.
- Weaver, T. and Xiao, Z., 2016. Fluid Simulation by the Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Method: A Survey. In: 11th International Conference on Computer Graphics Theory and Application 27-29 February 2016 Rome, Italy.
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Marsden, N. and Zhang, J., 2014. Automatic 3D posing from 2D hand-drawn sketches. In: The 22nd Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics and Application (Pacific Graphics 2014) 8-10 October 2014 Seoul.
- Gingrich, O., Renaud, A., Emets, E. and Xiao, Z., 2014. Transmission: A Telepresence Interface for Neural and Kinetic Interaction. In: SIGGRAPH 2014 10-14 August 2014 Vancouver. 390-401.
- Barbieri, S., Jiang, T., Cawthorne, B., Xiao, Z. and Yang, X., 2018. 3D content creation exploiting 2D character animation.
- Barbieri, S., Yang, X., Xiao, Z. and Hu, W., 2016. Enhancing Character Posing by a Sketch-based Interaction. In: SIGGRAPH 2016.
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Pang, K., Marsden, N., Van der Ark, D., Hibbert, J. and Zhang, J., 2016. Efficient Storyboarding in 3D Game Engines. In: Eurographics/ ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Computer Animation 2016 (SCA 2016).
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Marsden, N. and Zhang, J., 2014. Automatic 3D Posing from 2D Hand-Drawn Sketches. In: Pacific Graphics 2014 (PG 2014). Won Best Poster Award.
- David Greer, 2016. Lifelike character control in commercial physics engines
- Oliver Gingrich, 2016. Immersion and Interactivity in Telepresence
- Alexandros Gouvatsos, 2017. 3D storyboarding for modern animation
- Tom Matko. Fluid Simulation
- Simone Barbieri. Character Posing by Sketch-based Interaction
- Michelle Wu. Human character motion reconstruction through machine learning
Profile of Teaching PG
- Computer Animation and Effects Common
- Personal Inquiry
- Fundamentals of Computer Graphics
Profile of Teaching UG
- Major Project and Report
- Advanced VFX Techniques
- Technical Effects
- Advanced Animation Techniques
Visual Effect Techniques in Computer Animation, Wuhan Business University, 15 May 2017 more
Visual Effect Techniques in Computer Animation
Data Visualisation, Communication University of China, 21 Oct 2015 more
Data Visualisation for Big Data Analysis
Computer Animation Education at NCCA, Wuhan University of Technology, 17 May 2017 more
Computer Animation at NCCA
Computer Animation and Visual Effects, British Council Beijing, 23 Oct 2015 more
Computer Animation and Visual Effects
Computer Animaiton Education and Research at NCCA, Hangzhou, China, 26 Apr 2017 more
I was invited by the conferenced commitee to act as a panel member to evaluate animation submissions and award the winner project. at the same time, I was invited to eeliver a key notes to the audence about the computer animation education and research at NCCA.
- Understanding visual strategies for Neuro-feedback analysis (Bournemouth University Fusion Investment Fund and Centre of Digital Entertainment research Fund, 01 Aug 2014). Completed
- Rehabilitation Enhancement by Image Guided medical intervention and Motion Capture (Bournemouth University Fusion Investment Fund, 01 Aug 2013). Completed
- Cross-Channel Film Lab (Interreg, 01 Mar 2012). In Progress
- Digital Beijing Opera Project (Beijing New Media College, 10 Apr 2010). Completed
- Behavioural Fidelity of Visual Humans and Applications to Social Pstchology of Street Violence (EPSRC, 01 Aug 2008). Completed
- EPSRC, Peer Review (2016-)
- Global Engagement Lead, Global Engagement
- Academic Adviser, CAAG Group
- PGR supervisor, PRG Research Committee
- Programme Leader - BA(Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation, Computer Animation Academic Group
- Internal Developing Coach, Organisational and Staff Development
- PhD in Computer Graphics (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- BEng (Hons) in Thermodynamics (Taiyuan University of Technology, China, 1994)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- PGCE in Research Degree Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2011)
- ACM SIGGRAPH, Member (2012-),
- BU Coaching Community, Member (2014-),
- Centre for Digital Entertainment, PRG Supervisor (2010-),
- Computer Graphics and Visualisation Research Group, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2011-),