Dr Zhidong Xiao
- 01202 961125
- zxiao at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Computer Animation
- Weymouth House W234, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr. Xiao is currently a Senior Lecturer and the Programme Leader of BA(Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation programme at National Centre for Computer Animation, Faculty of Media and Communication. Dr. Xiao's research focuses are in the areas of Motion Capture, Human-like Character Animation, Crowd Simulation, Image Processing, Biomechanics and Robotics. Dr. Xiao has supervised six PhD students and two of them have successfully completed their research degrees. Working as principal investigator, Dr. Xiao has developed various enterprise activities. Dr. Xiao had successfully secured and completed a few commercial projects of 3D animation production and motion capture services for companies from China and in the UK. Working as co-investigator, Dr. Xiao has helped the team to secure and complete various research council funded projects.
- Gouvatsos, A. and Xiao, Z., 2018. Digital Media in 3D Animation Pre-Production. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media.
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Marsden, N. and Zhang, J., 2017. Posing 3D Models from Drawing. ACM Computers in Entertainment (CIE) - Theoretical and Practical Computer Application in Entertainment, 15 (2).
- Liu, S., Yang, X., Wang, Z., Xiao, Z. and Zhang, J., 2016. Real Time Facial Expression Transfer with Single Video Camera. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 27, 301-310.
- Zhang, M., Ge, X., Huo, J., Xiao, Z., You, L. and Zhang, J., 2016. Facial expression cloning optimization method based Laplace operator. (In Chinese). Computer Engineering and Application, 52 (6), 178-181.
- Tang, Z., Xiao, J., Feng, Y. and Xiao, Z., 2015. Sketch-based Human Motion Retrieval via Selected 2D Geometric Posture Descriptor. Signal Processing, 113, 1-8.
- Zhang, M., Ge, X., Liu, S., Xiao, Z., You, L. and Zhang, J.J., 2014. Fast individual Facial Animation Framework Based on Motion Capture Data. Journal of Donghua University, 31 (3), 256-261.
- Gingrich, O., Renaud, A., Emets, E. and Xiao, Z., 2014. Transmission: A Telepresence Interface for Neural and Kinetic Interaction. Leonardo, MIT Press Journals,, 47 (4), 375-385.
- Xiao, Z., Nait-Cherif, H. and Zhang, J.J., 2009. Incomplete motion data reconstruction for character animation. Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference Computer Graphics, Visualization, Computer Vision and Image Processing 2009, CGVCVIP 2009. Part of the IADIS MCCSIS 2009, 89-98.
- Xiao, Z., Nait-Charif, H. and Zhang, J.J., 2009. Real time automatic skeleton and motion estimation for character animation. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 20, 523-531.
- Xiao, Z., Yang, X. and Zhang, J.J., 2005. Motion data correction and extrapolation using physical constraints. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Visualisation, 2005, 571-576.
- Matko, T., Chang, J. and Xiao, Z., 2017. Recent progress of computational fluid dynamics modeling of animal and human swimming for computer animation. 3-17.
- Barbieri, S., Cawthorne, B., Xiao, Z. and Yang, X., 2017. Repurpose 2D character animations for a VR environment using BDH shape interpolation. 69-85.
- Gouvatsos, A. and Xiao, Z., 2015. Sketch-Based Posing for 3D Animation. Encyclopedia of Computer Graphics and Games. Springer International Publishing.
- Xiao, Z., Nait-Charif, H. and Zhang, J.J., 2008. Automatic Estimation of Skeletal Motion from Optical Motion Capture Data. Motion in Games - First International Workshop, MIG 2008, Revised Papers. Springer, 144-153.
- Zhang, M., Ma, Y., Wang, X., Wei, W. and Xiao, Z., 2018. 3D Model Retrieval Based on Vision Feature Fusion. In: 5th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems 23-25 November 2018 Nanjing, China.
- Wu, M. and Xiao, Z., 2018. Character animation reconstruction from content based motion retrieval. In: Computer Graphics & Visual; Computing (CGVC) 2018 13-14 September 2018 Swansea, Wales.
- Matko, T., Chang, J. and Xiao, Z., 2017. Recent Progress of Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling of Animal and Human Swimming for Computer Animation. In: The 11th International conference on E-learning and Games 22-28 November 2017 United Kingdom.
- Weaver, T. and Xiao, Z., 2016. Fluid simulation by the smoothed particle hydrodynamics method: A survey. 215-225.
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Marsden, N. and Zhang, J., 2014. Automatic 3D posing from 2D hand-drawn sketches. In: The 22nd Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics and Application (Pacific Graphics 2014) 8-10 October 2014 Seoul.
- Gingrich, O., Renaud, A., Emets, E. and Xiao, Z., 2014. Transmission: A Telepresence Interface for Neural and Kinetic Interaction. In: SIGGRAPH 2014 10-14 August 2014 Vancouver. 390-401.
- Wu, M. and Xiao, Z., 2018. Character animation Reconstruction from content based Motion Retrieval. In: Computer Graphics & Visual Computing (CGVC) 2018.
- Barbieri, S., Jiang, T., Cawthorne, B., Xiao, Z. and Yang, X., 2018. 3D content creation exploiting 2D character animation. In: SIGGRAPH 2018.
- Barbieri, S., Garau, N., Hu, W., Xiao, Z. and Yang, X., 2016. Enhancing character posing by a sketch-based interaction.
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Pang, K., Marsden, N., Van der Ark, D., Hibbert, J. and Zhang, J., 2016. Efficient Storyboarding in 3D Game Engines. In: Eurographics/ ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Computer Animation 2016 (SCA 2016).
- Gouvatsos, A., Xiao, Z., Marsden, N. and Zhang, J., 2014. Automatic 3D Posing from 2D Hand-Drawn Sketches. In: Pacific Graphics 2014 (PG 2014). Won Best Poster Award.
- David Greer, 2016. Lifelike character control in commercial physics engines
- Oliver Gingrich, 2016. Immersion and Interactivity in Telepresence
- Alexandros Gouvatsos, 2017. 3D storyboarding for modern animation
- Tom Matko. Fluid Simulation
- Simone Barbieri. Character Posing by Sketch-based Interaction
- Michelle Wu. Human character motion reconstruction through machine learning
Profile of Teaching PG
- Computer Animation and Effects Common
- Personal Inquiry
- Fundamentals of Computer Graphics
- Personal Inquiry
- Computer Generated Imagery Tool
Profile of Teaching UG
- Computer Animation Production 1 CGI Fundamental Practice
- Computer Animation & Visualisation Specialist Tools
- Major Project and Report
- Visual Effects and Compositing Techniques
- Advanced VFX Techniques
- Effects Production Tool
- Computer Animation Arts Specialist Production
- Computer Animaiton Production and Practice
Visual Effect Techniques in Computer Animation, Wuhan Business University, 15 May 2017 more
Visual Effect Techniques in Computer Animation
Data Visualisation, Communication University of China, 21 Oct 2015 more
Data Visualisation for Big Data Analysis
Computer Animation Education at NCCA, Wuhan University of Technology, 17 May 2017 more
Computer Animation at NCCA
Computer Animation and Visual Effects, British Council Beijing, 23 Oct 2015 more
Computer Animation and Visual Effects
- Understanding visual strategies for Neuro-feedback analysis (Bournemouth University Fusion Investment Fund and Centre of Digital Entertainment research Fund, 01 Aug 2014). Completed
- Rehabilitation Enhancement by Image Guided medical intervention and Motion Capture (Bournemouth University Fusion Investment Fund, 01 Aug 2013). Completed
- Cross-Channel Film Lab (Interreg, 01 Mar 2012). In Progress
- Digital Beijing Opera Project (Beijing New Media College, 10 Apr 2010). Completed
- Behavioural Fidelity of Visual Humans and Applications to Social Pstchology of Street Violence (EPSRC, 01 Aug 2008). Completed
- EPSRC, Peer Review (2016-)
- Faculty of Media and Communication, Study Abroad Coordinator
- Programme Leader - BA(Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation, Computer Animation Academic Group
- Internal Developing Coach, Organisational and Staff Development
- Co-ordinator, Study Abroad
- Developing Coach, BU Internal Coaching Bank
- PGR supervisor, PRG Research Committee
- Global Engagement Lead, Global Engagement
- Academic Adviser, CAAG Group
- Co-I China Innovation Hub (CIH), China Global Regional Group
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- How to Build Your Portfolio
- Visiting Professor to Wuhan Business University
- UG Open day Programme support
- UG Open day
- The 14th European Conference on Visual Media Production
- GFOL 2017: Disruption in the Digital Age: Rethinking Big Data
- Festival of Learning 2017
- Festival of Learning 2013, 2014
- Accessmocap Studio Producer
- 13th China International Cartoon and Animation Festival in Hangzhou, China
- Children of Null, Motion capture services for computer animation. John Butler
- Defibrillator training, 29 Jun 2018
- Coming soon: Windows 10 & AppsAnywher, 04 Jun 2018
- Health & Care at Innovate UK and mini STEAMLab, 30 May 2018
- DPPPMS: Part One (Theoretical Underpinning) AND Part Two (Experiential Activity), 02 May 2018
- Collaborating with Others: Becoming a Better Teamworker - Interdisciplinary Research Week, 20 Mar 2018
- Building Consortia: Developing networks for research and knowledge exchange funding, 07 Mar 2018
- LEAP 1:1 Discussion, 04 Dec 2017
- CoPMRE Fourteenth Annual Symposium: Healthcare Simulation: playing seriously, 18 Oct 2017
- Assessment Workshop, 11 Oct 2017
- PL Support Network: Supporting Student Wellbeing, 04 Oct 2017
- PL Support Network: Managing conflict and ‘difficult’ students, 20 Sep 2017
- Enhancing Practice & Developing the Self: The BU Certificate in Programme Leadership, 15 Aug 2017, PG Cert
- Preparing impact case studies for REF2011 - Vertigo Venture Training Session, 03 Jul 2017
- The coach as reflective practitioner, 06 Jun 2016
- Doctoral Supervision: Established Supervisors Workshop, 02 Jun 2016
- MSCA Workshop, 24 May 2016
- Teach@BU: Applying for HEA Fellowship, 17 May 2016
- UKRO Workshop, 14 Oct 2015
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP): A Taster, 28 Apr 2015
- Teach@BU: Introductory Session, 26 Jan 2015
- PhD in Computer Graphics (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- BEng (Hons) in Thermodynamics (Taiyuan University of Technology, China, 1994)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- PGCE in Research Degree Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2011)
- ACM SIGGRAPH, Member (2012-),
- BU Coaching Community, Member (2014-),
- Centre for Digital Entertainment, PRG Supervisor (2010-),
- Computer Graphics and Visualisation Research Group, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2011-),