Dr Jeffery Bray
- 01202 965232
- jbray at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
- Dorset House D138, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Having an undergraduate degree in Retailing, an MBA in Retail and several years managerial experience within the industry, Jeff joined Bournemouth University in 2004 as a Lecturer in Marketing, Retail Consumer Behaviour and International Retailing. During this time he has really enjoyed working with the ‘next breed’ of retail professionals. In 2008 Jeff received the Vice Chancellors excellence in learning and teaching award in recognition of his innovative teaching practice. Between 2008 and 2011 Jeff led the undergraduate degree in Retail Management, and now acts as the pathway leader for the MSC programme in Retail Management.
Jeffs’ early research studied the impact of 9 ending prices on retail sales, leading to publications in the Journal of Marketing Management and Journal of Product and Brand Management and several conference papers. In 2011 Jeff successfully defended his PhD research examining the role of ethical considerations in consumers purchase decisions. This is a highly relevant topic in today’s changing consumption environment, and has thus far attracted publication in the Journal of Business Ethics...
Along with this academic research Jeff has always been keen to engage with industry partners to ensure that teaching and research is relevant and up-to-date, and to nurture industry impact of academic research. Most notably, Jeff currently holds the post of ‘Waitrose Fellow of Retailing’, working together with Waitrose retail development team on future store innovations. Jeff provides regular media comment and analysis on retail and marketing issues and has appeared on Tonight with Trevor McDonald and BBC television and radio news programmes.more
Current research projects include:
EU funded project - FoodSMART - 4 year project to develop a mobile phone application to provide food related information to food providers and consumers in a food service setting.
Fellowship with Waitrose providing insight to business decision making.
Which? two funded projects firstly examining in-store consumer grocery shopping behaviours using mobile eye-tracking technology and secondly using fixed eye tracking to examine retailer web-sites.
PhD studentship with China Outsourcing International into the role of 3D printing in changing the relationship between designers, manufacturers and consumers.
PhD studentship examining grocery loyalty reward programmes.
I continue to hold an active interest in the role of ethics in consumer behaviour and am progressing publications in this area.
- Price, S., Bray, J. and Brown, L., 2017. Enabling healthy food choices in the workplace: the canteen operators' perspective. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF WORKPLACE HEALTH MANAGEMENT, 10 (4), 318-331.
- bray, J., Laver, L., McDougall, S. and McIntyre, C., 2014. How on-line shops get you to spend more. Which?, August.
- Bray, J., laver, L., mcintyre, C. and rickman, A., 2014. How Supermarkets get you to Spend More Money. Which?, May.
- Bray, J.P., Johns, N. and Kilburn, D., 2011. An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumption. Journal of Business Ethics, 98 (4), 597-608.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. Looking into the Future of Retailing. The Retail Market "Winners and Losers", Octobe, 15-16.
- Lugosi, P. and Bray, J.P., 2008. Tour guiding, organisational culture and learning: lessons from an entrepreneurial company. International Journal of Tourism Research, 10, 467-479.
- Harris, C. and Bray, J.P., 2007. Price endings and consumer segmentation. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 16, 200-205.
- Bray, J.P. and Harris, C., 2006. The effect of 9-ending prices on retail sales: a quantitative UK based field study. Journal of Marketing Management, 22, 601-617.
- Bray, J., 2015. Ethical Consumption. In: Goworek, H. and McGoldrick, P., eds. Retail Marketing and Management. Pearson.
- Pring, M., Beer, S., Hartwell, H. and Bray, J., 2015. Local foods: Marketing and the destination. The Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Food and Gastronomy. 307-314.
- Price, S., Appleton, K., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Important information for the selection of workplace canteen meals: A consumer segmentation. In: Nutrition Society 11-14 July 2016 Dublin.
- Price, S., Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Reasons for consuming in a workplace canteen, factors affecting meal choice, and the perceived value of additional information on workplace canteen meals. In: Nutrition Society 11-14 July 2016 Dublin.
- Price, S., Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Important information for the selection of workplace canteen meals: A consumer segmentation study. E134.
- Price, S., Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Reasons for consuming in a workplace canteen, factors affecting meal choice, and the perceived value of additional information on workplace canteen meals. E225.
- Bray, J., 2015. New Consumer Insights. In: Festival of Learning 11 June 2014 Bournemouth.
- Bray, J., 2015. Grocery Sector Service Changes. In: Waitrose Service Champions Conference 26 March 2015 Bracknell, UK.
- McIntyre, C., Bray, J. and Laver, L., 2014. The use of Mobile Eye-tracking in Evaluating Retail Store Design. In: 2nd INTERNATIONAL COLLOQUIUM ON DESIGN, BRANDING AND MARKETING BM) 9-10 December 2014 Nottingham Trent University.
- Bray, J. and Bray, J., 2014. Towards an Understanding of Ethical Consumer Decision Making. In: The European Institute of Retailing and Services Studies 7-10 July 2014 Bucharest.
- Bray, J., 2014. Towards an Understanding of Ethical Consumer Decision Making. In: 5th Annual IFT-BU E-conference. Tourism and Retail Shopping 10 April 2014 Bournemouth.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumerism. In: European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution Annual Conference 15-18 July 2009 Guilford, UK.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. Ethical Dimensions in Clothing Purchase. In: First Annual Ethics in Everyday Life Conference 17-19 March 2009 Salzburg.
- Bray, J.P. and Moital, M., 2009. Assessment Feedback using Comment Banks: New Methods. In: Education Enhancement Conference 2009 21 May 2009 Bournemouth University.
- Bray, J.P., 2008. Ethics in Fashion Purchasing Behaviour: A Conceptual Framework. In: The European Institute of Retail and Services Studies 15th International Conference on Recent Advances in Retailing and Services Science 14-17 July 2008 Zagreb, Croatia.
- Bray, J.P. and Berger, D., 2008. Retail Innovation - The never-ending road to success? A critical analysis of pitfalls and opportunities. In: Timmermans, H., ed. European Institute of Retailing and Services Studies Annual Conference 14-17 July 2008 Zagreb. European Institute of Retailing and Services Studies.
- Bray, J.P., 2007. Pod-Casting to Enrich Teaching Practice. In: Learning and Teaching Conference 15 May 2007 Bournemouth, England.
- Bray, J.P., 2006. Assessment Feedback Using Comment Banks: A Useful Approach? In: Bournemouth University ‘Releasing Potential’ Conference 16 May 2006 Bournemouth.
- Bray, J.P., Chambers, C. and Kavanagh, E.J., 2006. Pod-casting: Reflections on a Year of Practice. In: Bournemouth University Learning and Teaching Conference 16 May 2006 Bournemouth, England.
- Bray, J.P. and Harris, C., 2006. Price Endings and Consumer Responses. In: European Association of Education and Research in Commercial Distribution, Social and Experiential Retailing : 9th International Conference on Retailing and Commercial Distribution Teaching and Research Issues 27-30 June 2006 Brunel University, England.
- Bray, J.P., 2005. Exploring the Relationship Between Price Vs. Quality and Alternative Methods of Promoting Without Devaluing your Product. In: Marketing Week: International Point of Purchase and Brand Experiences Conference 28 September 2005 Waldorf Hilton, London.
- Bray, J.P., 2005. Location Location Location - Current Issues within Retailing? In: The Retail Forum 22-24 June 2005 Oriana (Ship sailing from Southampton).
- Bray, J.P., 2005. The Importance of Trust in the Relationships Retailers Hold with their Consumers. In: The Retail Forum 22-24 June 2005 Oriana (Ship sailing from Southampton).
- Bray, J.P., 2005. Get Back to Basics? What are the Basics and How do we get Back to them? In: The Retail Forum 22-24 June 2005 Oriana (Ship sailing from Southampton).
- Bray, J.. The role of ethics is consumer decision making. In: EIRASS 9-12 July 2012 Vienna, Austria.
- Bray, J. and kilburn, D.. Fellowships for Fusion. In: Fusion in Action: Knowledge exchange with students, society 18 April 2012 Bournemouth, UK.
- Bray, J., 2014. Grocery Sector Dynamics. Waitrose Management Conference.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. Fashionitis. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. How Relevant are Ethical Retail Positionings in a Recession?. Bright Blue Day Ltd. Available from: http://www.brightblueday.co.uk/assets/files/KnowledgePDFs/BBD_insight_destination.pdf.
- Bray, J.P., 2008. Consumer Behaviour Theory: Approaches and Models. Unpublished.
- Shepherd, R.S., Bray, J.P. and Harris, C., 2005. Research into the Market Demand for Retail FdA. London: Skillsmart Retail.
- Bray, J. and Hartwell, H., 2017. How to stop your lunch break damaging your health.
- Bray, J.P., 2011. A Critical evaluation into the role of ethics in clothing purchase decisions. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University; School of Tourism.
- Maheshan De Silva Kanakaratne (Loyalty programmes in the grocery sector)
- Louise Spencer (critA critical evalutation into the impact of digital technologies on the design and production processes within the artisan jewellery genre, examining the changing roles of designer, producer and consumer.)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Marketing and Consumer Behaviour, Marketing for Retail, Final Year Consultancy Project, Dissertation
- Domestic and International Retailing Principles and Practice
- Retail Marketing and Consumer Behaviour
Profile of Teaching UG
- International Retailing
- Services Marketing
- Consumer Experience and Behaviour
- . “The Role of Ethics in Consumption Behaviour” Inaugural lecture in the Marketing Seminar Series, Victoria University Melbourne Australia
- . “Exploring the Relationship Between Price Vs. Quality and Alternative Methods of Promoting Without Devaluing your Product” Marketing Week
- “Location, Location, Location – current issues within Retailing” The Retail Forum
- “The importance of Trust in the relationship retailers hold with their consumers” The Retail Forum, Oriana
- “Get back to basics? What are the basics and how can we get back to them?!” The Retail Forum
- Shampoo Marketing Analysis (Which?, 01 Jan 2016). Awarded
- FoodSMART (EU, 01 Jan 2015). Awarded
- Hall & Woodhouse CPD programme (Hall & Woodhouse, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Personal Design and Manufacture through 3D printing - PhD Studentship (China Outsourcing International, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Retailer web-site eyetracking (Which?, 01 May 2014). Completed
- Corinthia Hotels CPD programme (Corinthia Hotels, 01 Mar 2014). Awarded
- Grocery Store Eyetracking (Which?, 02 Feb 2014). Awarded
- Waitrose Fellowship 2 (Waitrose ltd, 01 Feb 2014). Awarded
- Waitrose Fellowship (Waitrose ltd, 01 May 2011). Awarded
- Resource Development International, External Examiner (2012-)
- Magna Carta College Oxford, External Examiner (2011-)
- University Campus Suffolk, External Examiner MBA (2008-2012)
- PhD in Consumer Behaviour (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- BA (Hons) in Retail Management (Bournemouth University, 2000)
- PG Cert in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- MBA in Retailing (University of Stirling, 2007)
- Excellence in teaching award (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Skillsmart skillshop steering group., Member,