Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am Head of Department for Midwifery and Health Sciences, and also Lead Midwife for Education. My main teaching interests are in evidence based practice and infant feeding. My research largely involves teaching and learning around health, from school children though to heathcare students at university.
My research interests are in infant feeding and learning technology/learning behaviours
- Mahato, P., Van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C. and Hundley, V., 2020. Evaluation of a health promotion intervention associated with birthing centres in rural Nepal. PLoS ONE, 15 (5).
- King, D., Tee, S., Falconer, L., Angell, C., Holley, D. and Mills, A., 2018. Virtual health education: Scaling practice to transform student learning: Using virtual reality learning environments in healthcare education to bridge the theory/practice gap and improve patient safety. Nurse Education Today, 71, 7-9.
- Mahato, P.K. et al., 2018. Qualitative evaluation of mental health training of auxiliary nurse midwives in rural Nepal. Nurse Education Today, 66, 44-50.
- Mahato, P., Angell, C., van Teijlingen, E. and Simkhada, P.P., 2018. Using mixed-methods research in health & education research in Nepal. Journal of Health Promotion, 6 (1), 45-48.
- van Teijlingen, E., Mahato, P., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2018. Determinants of quality of care and access to Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care facilities and midwife-led facilities in low and middle-income countries: A Systematic Review. Journal of Asian Midwives, 4 (2), 25-61.
- Mahato, P., Regmi, P., Waithaka, E., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2018. Health Promotion opportunities for Auxiliary Nurse Midwives in Nepal. Health Prospect: Journal of Public Health, 16 (II), 13-17.
- Sharma, S., Simkhada, P., Hundley, V., van Teijlingen, E., Stephens, J., Silwal, R.C. and Angell, C., 2017. Evaluation a Community Maternal Health Programme: Lessons Learnt. Journal of Asian Midwives, 4 (1), 3-20.
- Simkhada, B., Mackay, S., Khatri, R., Sharma, C.K., Pokhrel, T., Marahatta, S., Angell, C., van Teijlingen, E. and Simkhada, P., 2016. Continual Professional Development (CPD): Improving Quality of Nursing Care in Nepal. Health Prospect: Journal of Public Health, 15 (III), 1-3.
- Sharma, S., van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V., Angell, C. and Simkhada, P., 2016. Dirty and 40 days in the wilderness: Eliciting childbirth and postnatal cultural practices and beliefs in Nepal. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 16 (147), 1-12.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. and Angell, C., 2016. Birthing centres in Nepal: Recent developments, obstacles and opportunities. Journal of Asian Midwives, 3 (1), 18-30.
- Luce, A., Cash, M., Hundley, V., Cheyne, H., Van Teijlingen, E. and Angell, C., 2016. "Is it realistic?" the portrayal of pregnancy and childbirth in the media. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 16 (1).
- Angell, C., Van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V. and Ryan, K., 2015. Users of the healthtalk.org breastfeeding webpages; their characteristics and views. Evidence Based Midwifery, 13 (2), 54-58.
- Mahato, P.K., Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C. and Sathian, B., 2015. Birthing centre infrastructure in Nepal post 2015 earthquake. Nepal Journal of Epidemiology, 5 (4), 518-519.
- Angell, C., Hunt, J.A. and Alexander, J., 2014. ‘Draw, write and tell’. A literature review and methodological development on the ‘draw and write’ research method. Early Childhood Research.
- Angell, C. and Taylor, A.M., 2013. Alien knowledge: Preparing student midwives for learning about infant feeding-Education practice at a UK university. Nurse Education Today, 33 (11), 1411-1415.
- Sharma, S., van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V., Stephens, J., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sicuri, E. and Belizan, J.M., 2013. Mixed-methods evaluation of a maternity care intervention in rural Nepal: measuring what works. TROPICAL MEDICINE & INTERNATIONAL HEALTH, 18, 183-184.
- Angell, C., 2013. Bare necessities: why does society make breastfeeding so complicated? Pract Midwife, 16 (3), 5.
- Angell, R.J. and Angell, C., 2013. More than just "snap, crackle, and pop": "draw, write, and tell": An innovative research method with young children. Journal of Advertising Research, 53 (4), 377-390.
- Angell, C., 2012. Alien Knowledge: Preparing student midwives for learning about infant feeding. Nurse Education Today.
- Hemingway, A., Angell, C., Hartwell, H. and Heller, R., 2011. An emerging model for publishing and using open educational resources in public health. Perspectives in Public Health, 131, 38-43.
- Angell, C., Alexander, J. and Hunt, J.A., 2011. How are babies fed? A pilot study exploring primary school children’s perceptions of infant feeding. Birth, 34, 346-353.
- Angell, C., Hemingway, A. and Hartwell, H., 2011. Surfing the net for public health resources. Public Health, 125, 547-553.
- Angell, C., Hartwell, H. and Hemingway, A., 2011. The emergence of public health open educational resources. Health Education, 111, 256-265.
- Ryan, K., Brown, S., Wilkins, C., Taylor, A.M., Arnold, R., Angell, C. and van Teijlingen, E., 2011. Which hat am I wearing today? Practising midwives doing research. Evidence Based Midwifery, 9, 4-8.
- Angell, C., Alexander, J. and Hunt, J.A., 2010. Researching breastfeeding awareness in primary schools. British Journal of Midwifery, 18, 510-514.
- Angell, C., 2017. An everyday trauma: How the media portrays infant feeding. Midwifery, Childbirth and the Media. 45-59.
- Simkhada, B., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Mackay, S., Khatru, R., Angell, C., Sharma, S.K. and Marahatta, S., 2017. Assessing the need and type of continuing professional development (CPD) for nurses trained and working in Nepal. In: BNAC 15th Nepal Study Days 2017 12-13 April 2017 Bournemouth. London: Britain-Nepal Academic Council, 1-16.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors affecting health facility delivery in rural Nawalparasi district of Nepal. In: BNAC 15th Nepal Study Days 2017 12-13 April 2017 EBC, Bournemouth University.
- Mahato, P., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P., Angell, C., Sheppard, Z. and Silwal, R.C., 2017. Factors affecting health facility delivery in rural Nawalparasi, Nepal. In: Transforming Lives & Healthcare through Technology 9-10 January 2017 Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Deemed University, Wardha, Maharashtra, India. S128.
- Donaldson, I. and Angell, C., 2016. It's more than just ticking boxes: What is the impact of online assessment of practice on feedback to students? In: Use of Digital Technologies to assess the professional practice of Nurses, Midwives and Allied Health Professionals 24 February 2016 UK Headquarters of Rackspace, Hayes, London, UK.
- Luce, A., Cash, M., Hundley, V., Cheyne, H., van Teijlingen, E. and Angell, C., 2014. Representations of Childbirth in the Media: Does it matter how childbirth is portrayed? In: MeCCSA conference 8-10 January 2014 Bournemouth University.
- Rawnson, S., Angell, C., Wilkins, C. and Taylor, A., 2013. The right people for the job; testing numeracy, literacy and social skills prior to offering an interview when recruiting new student midwives. In: EMA Educational Conference 29-30 November 2013 Maastricht, Holland.
- Hundley, V., Van Teijlingen, E., Angell, C., Taylor, A. and Ryan, K., 2013. Evaluation of the breastfeeding web pages at Healthtalkonline. In: RCM Annual Conference 13-14 November 2013 Telford, West Midlands.
- Cash, M., Luce, A., Hundley, V., van Teijlingen, E., Angell, C. and Cheyne, H., 2013. The Portrayal of Childbirth in the Mass Media. In: Reimagining Birth International Symposium 2-3 July 2013 University College Dublin.
- Angell, C., 2010. ‘Special baby milk’ What are primary school children’s perceptions of infant feeding,. In: South West Breastfeeding Conference 4 May 2010 Bournemouth.
- Angell, C. and angell, C., 2010. ‘Special baby milk’ What are primary school children’s perceptions of infant feeding,. In: International Lactation Consultants Conference 24 March 2010 Leeds.
- Angell, C., Baum, A., Bradshaw, J. and Entwistle, F., 2010. London Breastfeeding Education in Schools Project. London: Department of Health.
- van teijlingen, E., Luce, A., hundley, V., Angell, C. and Cheyne, H.. Watching television for pregnancy advice—is this beneficial for expectant mothers?. Available from: http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcseriesblog/2016/03/16/watching-television-pregnancy-advice-beneficial-expectant-mothers/.
- Angell, C., 2009. Primary school children's perceptions of infant feeding: exploring their awareness using an adapted'draw and write' method. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University; Health and Social Care.
- Sheetal Sharma, 2017. Mixed–methods evaluation of maternity care intervention in rural Nepal
- Hannah Haydock. Stable isotopes as an indication of weaning age in post-medieval to modern populations
- Michelle Irving, 2018. How do independent midwives keep birth normal?
- Preeti Mahato
- Layla Toomer
Profile of Teaching PG
- I supervise several PhD students.
Profile of Teaching UG
- I teach on the pre-registration midwifery programme and on a range of post-registration programmes.
Media Representations of Infant Feeding, Cardiff, 09 Jun 2016 more
ESRC Cultural Aspects of Breastfeeding, Cardiff
- Invited speaker at UK Lactation Consultants Conference (Leeds) - March 2010
- Presentation to Department of Health (London) Infant Feeding Leads - Jan 2010
- Invited Speaker at Anglo-European Chiropractic College, (Bournemouth) Sept 2010
- Invited Speaker at the South West Breastfeeding Conference, (Bournemouth) July 2010
- Peer Facilitated Learning: An evaluation of the student and academic experience of participating in reciprocal sharing of knowledge (BU: centre for Excellence in Learning, 04 Jan 2016). Awarded
- Practice Assessment and Learning in Midwifery Study (PALMS) (BU Centre for Excellence in Learning, 01 Jul 2015). In Progress
- National Research Ethics Service, Committee member for Southampton (A) LREC (2009-)
- Nurse Education Today, Reviewer, http://www.nurseeducationtoday.com/
- Midwifery Journal, Reviewer, http://www.midwiferyjournal.com/
- European Midwives Association Education Conference, 29 Nov 2013, Maastricht
- The Royal College of Midwives Conference 2013, 13 Nov 2013, International Centre Telford
- Maternal and Infant Nutrition and Nurture Conference 2013, 10 Jun 2013, Grange over Sands, Cumbria
- Royal College of Midwives Annual Conference, 13 Nov 2012, Brighton
- Open Educational Resources 2010 (OER10), 22 Mar 2010, Cambridge
- UK Public Health Co-ordinators Conference, 01 Mar 2010, Nottingham
- International Lactation Consultants Conference, 01 Jan 2010, Leeds
- BURP, Enterprise. Dorset Health Trusts
- Burp for Infant Feeding, Enterprise. Southampton University Hospitals Trust
- Burp for Infant Feeding, Enterprise. Winchester and Eastleigh Hospital Trust
- PG Cert in Education Practice (2011)
- PhD in Children's Perceptions of Infant Feeding (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Midwifery (2006)
- BA (Hons) in Geography (1992)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Registered Midwife,
- Royal College of Midwives, Member,
- Invited to collaborate in ESRC seminar series in 2015
- National Research Ethics Service committee member for Southampton (A) LREC