Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I have recently completed my PhD exploring men's recreational use of Androgenic Anabolic Steroid Use. I am now a part-time lecturer in Social Work, specialising in Developing Professional Relationships. I am also working part-time on the an EU funded research project: "The Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change" (OSSPC). The aim of the OSSPC project is to prevent further domestic violence and change violent behavioral patterns by increasing the capacity of frontline workers that will further teach perpetrators of domestic violence to adopt non-violent behavior in interpersonal relationships and understand the impact of domestic violence on the them, family and community.
Previous Career: I qualified as a Social Worker in 2016 and have worked in the Addiction and Adult Social Work fields. Prior to that I was a learning and development professional, with 17 years’ experience: including roles at both Bournemouth and Cranfield University and also working for Amazon. I started my career as an Officer in the Royal Air Force.
Mixed Methods Study of Androgenic Anabolic Steroid Use
- Harvey, O., Parrish, M., van Teijlingen, E. and Trenoweth, S., 2020. Support for non-prescribed anabolic androgenic steroids users: a qualitative exploration of their needs. Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy, 27 (5), 377-386.
- Spacey, A., Harvey, O. and Casey, C., 2020. Postgraduate researchers’ experiences of accessing participants via gatekeepers: ‘wading through treacle!’. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 1-18.
- Harvey, O. and Parrish, M., 2019. Social Work Implications of Anabolic–Androgenic Steroid Use, Particularly Among Young People: A Literature Review. Practice.
- Harvey, O., 2019. ‘Shades of Grey’: The Ethics of Social Work Practice in Relation to Un-prescribed Anabolic Androgenic Steroid Use. Practice, 31 (4), 239-258.
- Harvey, O., Keen, S., Parrish, M. and van Teijlingen, E., 2019. Support for people who use Anabolic Androgenic Steroids: A Systematic Scoping Review into what they want and what they access. BMC public health, 19 (1), 1024.
- Harvey, O., 2020. Social Work and Substance Use. In: Parker, J., ed. Introducing Social Work. Learning Matters Limited.
- Introduction to BRIAN, 15 Mar 2017
- MA in Social Work (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- BA (Hons) in Russian and Area Studies (Portsmouth University, 1997)