Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am now a lecturer in Social Work, specialising in Developing Professional Relationships and Leadership. I teach on both pre-qualifying and post qualifying programmes. I completed my doctoral research in 2020 in the recreational use of Androgenic Anabolic Steroids. My research interests include: Image and Performance Enhancing Substance Use, Domestic Violence and Abuse, leadership and reflective practice. I am also involved in research on an EU funded research project OSSPC. Previous Career: I qualified as a Social Worker in 2016 and have worked in the Addiction and Adult Social Work fields. Prior to that I was a learning and development professional (with an interest in leadership and management). I have 17 years’ experience: including roles at both Bournemouth and Cranfield University and also working for Amazon. I started my career as an Officer in the Royal Air Force.
PhD Mixed Methods Study of Androgenic Anabolic Steroid Use
Gamification of Reflection activities: with Dr Lou Oliver (ACORN Grant won)
The Project: We are conducting research into Domestic Violence and Abuse (DVA) as part of a research project: The Other Side of the Story: Perpetrators in Change. The aim of the OSSPC project is to prevent further DVA and change abusive behavioural patterns by increasing the capacity of frontline workers. It seeks to further teach perpetrators of DVA to adopt nonviolent behaviour in interpersonal relationships and understand the impact of DVA on them, their family and community.
Gamification of Reflection with Dr Louise Oliver ACORN funding gained.
To support reflection for social work practice
- Harvey, O., Parrish, M., van Teijlingen, E. and Trenoweth, S., 2021. Libido as a motivator for starting and restarting non-prescribed anabolic androgenic steroid use among men: a mixed-methods study. Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy.
- Harvey, O., Parrish, M., van Teijlingen, E. and Trenoweth, S., 2020. Support for non-prescribed anabolic androgenic steroids users: a qualitative exploration of their needs. Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy, 27 (5), 377-386.
- Spacey, A., Harvey, O. and Casey, C., 2020. Postgraduate researchers’ experiences of accessing participants via gatekeepers: ‘wading through treacle!’. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 1-18.
- Harvey, O. and Parrish, M., 2019. Social Work Implications of Anabolic–Androgenic Steroid Use, Particularly Among Young People: A Literature Review. Practice.
- Harvey, O., 2019. ‘Shades of Grey’: The Ethics of Social Work Practice in Relation to Un-prescribed Anabolic Androgenic Steroid Use. Practice, 31 (4), 239-258.
- Harvey, O., Keen, S., Parrish, M. and Van Teijlingen, E., 2019. Support for people who use Anabolic Androgenic Steroids: A Systematic Scoping Review into what they want and what they access. BMC Public Health, 19 (1).
- Harvey, O., 2020. Social Work and Substance Use. In: Parker, J., ed. Introducing Social Work. Learning Matters Limited.
- Tilia Lenz. Relationship Based Performance Management
Profile of Teaching PG
- Developing Professional Relationship Skills (L7)
- Leading for Change (CPD)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Relationship Skills in Social Work (L5)
- Journal of Further and Higher Education, Anonymous peer review, 28 Jul 2021
- Performance Enhancement and Health, Anonymous peer review, 04 Mar 2021
- Drugs: Education, Prevention & Policy, Anonymous peer review, 30 Sep 2020
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- 4 presentations with Prof van Teijlingen to WDP
- Anabolic Androgenic Steroid Research
- Masterclass for social workers as part of Dorset and Wilts Teaching Partnership
- RP Broadcast Demonstration NTKD features, 11 May 2021
- Introduction to BRIAN, 15 Mar 2017
- PhD in Dr of Philosophy (Bournemouth University, 2020)
- MA in Social Work (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- BA (Hons) in Russian and Area Studies (Portsmouth University, 1997)
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @arrowandthesong