Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Lizzie Sykes is a Senior Lecturer working with students on BA Film and BA Media Production. Lizzie is a screen based artist and has recently completed an Arts Council England funded project at the Museum of Design in Plastics with composer Karen Wimhurst. The resulting Synthetica opera is due to tour in 2020. In April 2019 Lizzie co-authored the paper, 'Rediscovering Time', published in Body Space Technology journal. With a long term involvement in participatory arts projects, she has recently been using live streaming in hospitals, and has produced the guide, ‘Creating Film Projects in The Community’. Prior to joining the university Lizzie worked for large broadcasters, and set up and ran Vivid, a production company that focussed on using film for social change.
Research interests relate to screen based media art, primarily site specific dancefilm. As well as working with dancers, Lizzie is currently collaborating with a sculptor and with a composer. Her dancefilms have been toured internationally (Philadelphia 2016, Loop, Barcelona 2012), exhibited nationally (Sadlers Wells 2014, Dartington 2019, Ruskin Gallery, Brighton and Edinburgh Fringe Festivals 2013) and regionally (Mottisfont 2015, Arts by the Sea Festival 2018).
- Seago, C. and Sykes, E., 2019. Rediscovering Time. Body, Space and Technology, 18 (1), 306-310.
- Sykes, E., 2020. Rediscovering Time Through Co-creation. In: Evolving the Forest 19-21 June 2019 Dartington Hall.
- Sykes, E. and Seago, C., 2019. Rediscovering Time. In: Dance and Academia 1 November 2018 Oxford.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. Are You There: the relationship between film and screen. In: British Human Computer Interaction Conference 2016 11-15 July 2016 Bournemouth, UK. BCS eWic and ACM Digital Library.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. A Case Study - Stories and Spaces: moving image education in a non traditional environment. In: NAHEMI 29 June 2016 University of Westminster.
- Sykes, E.L., 2015. Connecting and Collaborating: Co-creational Discovery of Place. In: JMP/MECCSA Symposium 13 June 2015 Aberystwyth University.
- Sykes, E.L., 2011. Digital Futures In Dance Conference, Pavilion Dance. In: Digital Futures In Dance 8-10 September 2011 Pavilion Dance, Westover Road, Bournemouth, Dorset.
- Sykes, L., 2011. Screendance Symposium 2011, Brighton University. In: Screendance Symposium 2011 4 February 2011 Sallis Benney Theatre, Grand Parade, University of Brighton, BN2 0J, UK.
- Sykes, E.L., 2019. The Greeting at Evolving The Forest. .mov. Evolving The Forest. Dartington Hall, Devon. 19-21 June 2019.
- Sykes, E.L., 2019. Miniscule 2. 3D. Miniscule. Cross Lane Projects. 23 March-18 May 2019.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. British Human Computing Interaction Conference 2016. Bournemouth University. 11-15 July 2016.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. ArtSpace Studio: part of Dorset Arts Weeks. video, sculpture, printed fabric. Bournemouth. 10-12 June 2016.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. Trans(m)it International Film Festival. Philadelphia and online. 23-29 May 2016.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. Exhibition of Research Photography Competition. Atrium Gallery, Bournemouth University. 4 February-4 March 2016.
- Sykes, E.L., 2016. Interdisciplinary Research Week at Bournemouth University. Bournemouth University. 25-29 January 2016.
- Sykes, E.L., 2015. Arborealists: the art of trees. video. Mottisfont, Hampshire. 19 September-15 November 2015.
- Sykes, E.L., 2015. Co-curate Showcase: Beauty in Imperfection. video. Asylum Chapel Asylum Road Peckham London SE15 2SQ. 22 June 2015.
- Sykes, E.L., 2015. Art Park Space. various locations. 6 May 2015.
- Sykes, E.L., 2015. Mottisfont Solo Exhibition. Mottisfont, Hampshire. 5 May-5 August 2015.
- Sykes, E.L., 2015. The Box at Aberystwyth Arts Centre. Aberystwyth Arts Centre. 19 January-16 March 2015.
- Sykes, E.L., 2014. The Elixir Festival, Sadlers Wells. Sadlers Wells, London. 12-15 September 2014.
- Sykes, E.L., 2013. C The Film at Edinburgh Festival. video. C The Film. Victoria Street, Edinburgh. 27 July-27 August 2013.
- Sykes, E.L., 2013. Burgundy International Video Dance Festival. The National Theatre, Mediatheque, and the Cinéma Le Morvan, Le Creusot. April-May 2013.
- Sykes, E.L., 2013. DanseDag Dancefilm Festival. video. Denmark & online. 16 March-16 June 2013.
- Sykes, E.L., 2013. Dansedag Film Festival. Denmark and online. 16 March-16 June 2013.
- Sykes, E.L., 2013. Pop Up Art Exhibition, The Year of the Snake. Newport Place, Soho, London WC2. 10 February 2013.
- Sykes, E.L., 2012. C The Film at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Video. C Nova, Edinburgh. 4-30 August 2012.
- Sykes, E.L., 2012. Loop, Barcelona. Espacio de Proyectos Sant Pere, Barcelona. 17 May-2 June 2012.
- Sykes, E.L., 2012. Movement in Location, Ruskin Gallery, Cambridge. Moving Image Installation. Ruskin Gallery, Cambridge. 9-24 May 2012.
- Sykes, E.L., 2011. C The Film at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. C the Film. Edinburgh Fringe Festival, 233 Cowgate, Edinburgh. 29 July-29 August 2011.
- Sykes, E.L., 2011. Slice: Hengest to Alnick - A Coastal Sequence. Slice: Hengest to Alnick - A Coastal Sequence. New Greenham Arts Gallery 113 Lindenmuth Way New Greenham Park ,RG19 6HN. 9 June-7 July 2011.
- Sykes, E.L., 2011. Screening of 'Note' at Bangkok Fringe Festival 2011, part of Asia-Europe Foundation dance camera project.. Note. Patravati Theatre, Bangkok Fringe Festival, Thailand. 12 March 2011.
- Sykes, E.L., 2009. Birdland - An Artist's Imaginary Aviary. Salisbury Arts Centre. 31 July-18 October 2009.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. Salon Exhibition, Kube Gallery. Video, live performance. Kube Gallery, Poole, Dorset. 3-8 November 2008.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. Screening at Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff. performance art. Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff. 21 August 2008.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. Tiago's Sequence at Cinedas, Amsterdam.. Video. Cinedans, Amsterdam. 3-10 July 2008.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. 'Tiago's Sequence' ReelDance tour of Australia and New Zealand.. Reeldance Tour. Melbourne Campbeltown Sydney Hobart, Perth, Noosa, Byron Bay, Adelaide, Christchurch. 1 May-12 October 2008.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. Multichannel, Millais Gallery, Southampton. Video. ArtSway and Millais Galleries. 18 April-31 May 2008.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. Tiago's Sequence at Krasnoyarsk Centre of Modern Dance, Russia. Video. Krasnoyarsk Centre of Modern Dance, Russia. April 2008.
- Sykes, E.L., 2008. Dance In Motion Festival, Wiltshire Dance. Video. The Arc, Trowbridge. 15-16 February 2008.
- Holton Lee participatory film project, 2016. Video.
- The Greeting, 2015. Video.
- The Greeting: A Dance Film Documentary, 2015. Video.
- Are You There?, 2015. Video.
- Movement In Location, Screendance Piece, 2011. Film.
- Note. Screendance triptych, 2010. Video.
- Penpynfarch, dancefilm, 2008. Film.
- Sykes, E.L.. Slice, performed with live composition. looped .mov. Inside Art, Bournemouth. 28 October 2017.
- Sykes, E.L.. Signal. Inside Art, Bournemouth. 28 September 2017.
- Sykes, E.L.. The Secret Ballet. Dance. Mottisfont House and Gardens, Hampshire. 5 May 2015.
- Sykes, E.L.. Note. Performed at Walford Mill.. Video, live music. Walford Mill, Wimborne, Dorset. 5 June 2010.
- Sykes, E.L.. Looking Glass, Kube Gallery, Dorset. Live performance incorporating lens based media. Kube Gallery, Poole, Dorset. April-October 2009.
- Sykes, E.L.. 'Compass' performance at the Salon Exhibition, Kube Gallery. Live dance performance incorporating lens based media. Kube Gallery, Poole, Dorset. 4 November 2008.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Project Development for Film (BAF/6)
- Creative Collaboration (BAF/4)
- The Graduate Production Project (BAMP/6)
- Graduate Film Project (BAF/6)
- London College of Communication: University of the Arts London, External Examiner, MA Film (2018-2021), https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/animation-interactive-film-and-sound/postgraduate/ma-film-lcc
- University for the Creative Arts Farnham, External Panel Member validation MA Digital Media (2018-), https://www.uca.ac.uk/study/courses/ma-digital-media/
- London College of Communication, Univ. of the Arts, London, External Examiner (2016-2019), http://www.arts.ac.uk/lcc/courses/postgraduate/ma-television/
- University of East Anglia, External Examiner for a Practice Based PhD (2015-2016)
- London College of Communication: University of the Arts London, External Academic Panel Member: Revalidation (2014-2015), http://www.arts.ac.uk/lcc/courses/undergraduate/ba-hons-film-and-television/
- London College of Communication: University of the Arts London, External Academic Panel Member, MA Factual TV (2014-2015)
- Anglia Ruskin University, External Examiner (2011-2014), http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/prospectus/pg/film_and_television_production.html
- London Metropolitan University, External Examiner (2011-2015), http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/ug-prospectus/courses-12-13/media-practice-film-broadcast.cfm
- Hull College, Panel Member, Validation (2011-2012), http://www.hull-college.ac.uk/courses/course/ba-hons-television-and-film-design
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Working with Museum of Design in Plastics on Synthetica, producing media artefacts for the W-rap projects with composer Karen Wimhurst.
- Live Landscape: live streaming event linking Activate's Inside Out art festival to patients at Dorchester Hospital
- Participatory art, media and dance project at Holton Lee, centre for arts and disabilities
- Screening 'Are You There' at Interdisciplinary Research Week
- PGCE in Academic Practice (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- BA (Hons) in Communications (Film & Art, Theory & Practice) (Sir John Cass School of Art, London Guildhall University, now London Metropolitan University, 1993)
- NAHEMI (National Association for Higher Education in the Moving Image), Member (2014-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2011-), http://heacademy.ac.uk/