Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
o Broadly, my research falls into two areas: the interplay between various dimensions of emotion (e.g., arousal) and reasoning and decision-making, and determinants of bias in judgements of future task performance. In both areas, I have published papers and secured competitive research grant funding from bodies such as the ESRC. These outputs have come from collaborations with university researchers at national level and international level and healthcare professionals in the NHS. One of my current NHS-collaborative projects (funded by a grant from the BU Fusion Investment Fund) examines counterfacual thinking among people experiencing depression. Other projects include the impact of probabilistic reasoning principles on predictions of task duration and the effect of patient complications on surgeons' well-being, decision-making and professional performance. My teaching principally focuses on judgement and decision-making, problem-solving, thinking and reasoning, emotion and cognition, and research methods and statistics.
- Thomas, K.E. and König, C.J., 2018. Knowledge of previous tasks: Task similarity influences bias in task duration predictions. Frontiers in Psychology, 9 (MAY).
- Hevey, D., Thomas, K., Laureano-Schelten, S., Looney, K. and Booth, R., 2017. Clinical depression and punishment sensitivity on the BART. Frontiers in Psychology, 8 (MAY).
- Turner, K., Johnson, C., Thomas, K., Bolderston, H. and McDougall, S., 2016. Response and resilience: Dealing with the impact of complications and errors on surgeons. Royal College of Surgeons Annals Journal and Bulletin Journal.
- Weidmann, R.Z., 2015. The Effects of Previous Misestimation of Task Duration on Estimating Future Task Duration. Current Psychology, 34 (1).
- König, C.J., Wirz, A., Thomas, K.E. and Weidmann, R.-Z., 2014. The Effects of Previous Misestimation of Task Duration on Estimating Future Task Duration. Current Psychology.
- Kwasniewska, A., Thomas, K. and Baker, R., 2014. Are there cross-cultural differences in emotional processing and social problem-solving? Polish Psychological Bulletin, 45 (2), 205-210.
- Cusack, A., Murayama, K., Elliot, A.J. and Thomas, K., 2014. The power of anticipated feedback: Effects on students' achievement goals and achievement emotions. Learning and Instruction, 29, 115-124.
- Hevey, D., Thomas, K., Pertl, M., Maher, L., Craig, A. and Ni Chuinneagain, S., 2012. Method Effects and the Need for Cognition Scale. The International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment, 12 (1), 20-33.
- Thomas, K., Hevey, D., Pertl, M., Ni Chuinneagain, S., Craig, A. and Maher, L., 2011. Appearance matters: The frame and focus of health messages influences beliefs about skin cancer. British Journal of Health Psychology, 16 (2), 418-429.
- Pertl, M., Hevey, D., Thomas, K., Craig, A., Ni Chuinneagain, S. and Maher, L., 2010. Differential effects of self-efficacy and perceived behavioural control on intention to perform skin cancer related health behaviours. Health Education Research, 25, 769-779.
- Hevey, D., Pertl, M., Thomas, K., Maher, L., Craig, A. and Ni Chuinneagain, S., 2010. Consideration of future consequences scale: Confirmatory Factor Analysis. Personality and Individual Differences, 48, 654-657.
- Hevey, D., Thomas, K., Pertl, M., Ni Chuinneagain, S., Maher, L. and Craig, A., 2010. Body consciousness moderates the effect of message framing on intentions to use sunscreen. Journal of Health Psychology, 15, 553-559.
- Cahir, C. and Thomas, K., 2010. Asymmetric effects of positive and negative affect on decision making. Psychological Reports, 106, 193-204.
- Hevey, D., Pertl, M., Thomas, K., Maher, L., Ni Chuinneagain, S. and Craig, A., 2009. The relationship between prostate cancer knowledge and beliefs and intentions to attend PSA screening among at-risk men. Patient Education and Counseling, 74, 244-249.
- Thomas, K. and Handley, S., 2008. Anchoring in time estimation. Acta Psychologica, 127, 24-29.
- Thomas, K., Handley, S. and Newstead, S., 2007. The role of prior task experience in temporal misestimation. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 60, 230-240.
- Ferris, H., McKenzie, K., Thomas, K. and Craig, A., 2007. The link between post-qualification experience and self-confidence ratings in two problem-solving domains: a study of radiation therapists. Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice, 6, 225-228.
- Pertl, M., Maher, L., Craig, A., Cunningham, J., Thomas, K. and Hevey, D., 2007. Prostate cancer and screening: Knowledge and attitudes of men at risk. Division of Health Psychology Annual Conference, British Psychological Society Conference Proceedings ..
- Thomas, K., Newstead, S. and Handley, S., 2004. The impact of prior task experience on bias in predictions of duration. Proceedings of the 26th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society, 1339-1344.
- Thomas, K., Handley, S. and Newstead, S., 2004. The Effects of Prior Experience on Estimating the Duration of Simple Tasks. Current Psychology of Cognition, 22, 83-100.
- Thomas, K., Newstead, S. and Handley, S., 2003. Exploring the Time Prediction Process: The Effects of Task Experience and Complexity on Prediction Accuracy. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 17, 655-673.
- Proximal and distal determinants of risky driving behaviours (Irish Road Safety Authority, 01 Oct 2009). Completed
- The Effect of depression on counterfactual thinking and decision-making (Irish Reearch Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS), 01 Dec 2008). Completed
- The role of prior experience in task duration judgement bias (ESRC, 01 Jan 2004). Completed
- Bias in Predictions of Task Duration (ESRC, 02 Oct 2000). Completed
- PhD in Bias in predictions of task duration (University of Plymouth, 2004)
- MSc in Psychological Research Methods (University of Plymouth, 2000)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (University of Plymouth, 1999)
- British Psychological Society, Member,