Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Richard Paul is a bio-analytical chemist with a particular interest in the analysis of biomarkers of stress and alcohol abuse. Richard is currently working in collaboration with the Institute of Forensic Medicine, Zurich, to explore the analysis of cortisol (a stress hormone) in head hair.
Richard is also working with industry and colleagues in our Engineering team on the development of graphene-based sensors for drug and alcohol detection. Our novel sensors have application in a variety of industries, including healthcare and the criminal justice system.
Current research projects: 1. Exploration of the factors that affect hair cortisol concentration. A collaboration with the Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Zurich.
2. Detection of Ethyl Glucuronide in fingernail samples: Application to abstinence monitoring. Funded by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
3. Influence of BMI on EtG and FAEE levels in head hair.
4. Development of graphene based sensors for drug and alcohol detection. Funded by Surescreen Diagnostics Ltd.
5. Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales. Funded by SYNLAB UK.
- Paul, R., Williams, R., Hodson, V. and Peake, C., 2019. Detection of cannabinoids in hair after cosmetic application of hemp oil. Scientific Reports, 9 (1).
- Paul, R., Tsanaclis, L., Murray, C., Boroujerdi, R., Facer, L. and Corbin, A., 2019. Ethyl Glucuronide as a Long-Term Alcohol Biomarker in Fingernail and Hair. Matrix Comparison and Evaluation of Gender Bias. Alcohol and Alcoholism.
- Szafnauer, R., McGregor, L., Paul, R., Edwards, M. and Smith, S., 2019. Structural elucidation of new psychoactive substances in herbal incense using GC×GC-TOF MS with tandem electron ionization. Forensic Chemistry.
- Paul, R., 2018. Alcohol markers in hair: an issue of interpretation. Forensic Science, Medicine and Pathology.
- Paul, R. and Tsanaclis, L., 2018. Data on ethyl glucuronide and cocaethylene concentrations in the hair of cocaine users. Data in Brief.
- Dumitrascu, C., Paul, R., Kingston, R. and Williams, R., 2018. Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs. Forensic Science International, 283, 29-34.
- Bossers, L.C.A.M. and Paul, R., 2014. Application of Bayesian Theory to the reporting of results in alcohol hair testing. Forensic Science International., 242, 56-58.
- Bossers, L., Paul, R., Berry, A.J., Kingston, R., Middendorp, C. and Guwy, A.J., 2014. An evaluation of decontamination and extraction techniques in the analysis of ethyl glucuronide and fatty acid ethyl esters from hair samples. Journal of Chromatography B, 953-954, 115-119.
- Paul, R., Kingston, R., Tsanaclis, L., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2011. Simultaneous determination of EtG and GHB in hair by GCMS/MS. Drug Testing and Analysis, 3, 201-205.
- Paul, R., 2008. Hair of the dog: alcohol hair analysis. Advances Journal, 56 (12).
- Paul, R., Kingston, R., Tsanaclis, L., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2008. Do drug users use less alcohol than non-drug users? Forensic Science International, 176, 82-86.
- Paul, R., Tsanaclis, L., Kingston, R., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2006. GC-MS-MS Determination of Gamma Hydroxybutyrate in blood and urine. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 6, 375-379.
- Paul, R., 2018. The secret information hidden in your hair. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/the-secret-information-hidden-in-your-hair-98121.
- Bethan Davies. Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales
- Ramin Boroujerdi. Printable graphene sensors for drug and alcohol detection
Profile of Teaching PG
- Crime scene management and forensic science - unit leader
- Forensic Toxicology - unit contributor
Profile of Teaching UG
- Case studies in forensic science - unit leader
- Forensic science - unit contributor
- Advanced Forensic Science - unit leader
- Printable graphene sensing systems for drug and alcohol detection (SureScreen Diagnostics LtD, 01 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Detection of Ethyl Glucuronide in fingernail samples: Application to abstinence monitoring. (Royal Society of Chemistry Research Grant, 07 Dec 2017). Awarded
- Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales (SYNLAB, 15 Nov 2017). Awarded
- Influence of BMI on EtG and FAEE levels in head hair. (Bournemouth University, 22 Feb 2017). Awarded
- TD-GC-TOF: A new approach for the analysis of drugs of abuse in hair (Business-led research collaboration investment, USW, 08 Jan 2016). Awarded
- Evaluation of new extraction techniques to enhance laboratory performance (Strategic Insight Programme, Higher Education Funding Council for Wales, 10 Apr 2013). Awarded
- Alcohol markers in hair: New detection techniques and evidence interpretation (University of Glamorgan, 10 Jan 2010). Awarded
- New developments in analytical toxicology for the investigation of drug facilitated assault (TrichoTech Ltd, 05 Sep 2004). Awarded
- Programme Leader, BSc Forensic Investigation
- Accreditation lead, Chartered Society of Forensic Science
- Head of group, Forensic Science Research Group
- Programme Leader, BSc Forensic Biology
- Society of Hair Testing, Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs, 12 Jun 2017, Cardiff
- Oil company training programme consultant, Consultancy. Sirte Oil Company
- Chemical analysis, Consultancy. Clariant
- Forensic science workshops, Consultancy. Welsh Government
- PhD in Analytical Toxicology (University of Glamorgan, 2007)
- Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, Member,
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow, Fellow,
- LTG (London Toxicology Group), Member,
- Royal Society of Chemistry, Fellow,
- Royal Society of Chemistry (C.Chem), Chartered Chemist, Fellow,
- Society of Hair Testing, Member,