Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Richard Paul is an analytical toxicologist with a particular interest in the detection of New Psychoactive Substances (NPS) in wastewater and the analysis of biomarkers of stress and alcohol abuse. Current research focuses on the issue of NPS in prisons, measurement of cortisol in hair samples and the development of graphene sensors for drug and alcohol detection.
Current research projects:
1. The prevalence of NPS use amongst our homeless population.
2. Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales. Funded by SYNLAB UK.
3. Detection of Ethyl Glucuronide in fingernail samples: Application to abstinence monitoring. Funded by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
4. Influence of BMI on EtG and FAEE levels in head hair.
5. Development of graphene based sensors for drug and alcohol detection.
- Dumitrascu, C., Paul, R., Kingston, R. and Williams, R., 2018. Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs. FORENSIC SCIENCE INTERNATIONAL, 283, 29-34.
- Bossers, L.C.A.M. and Paul, R., 2014. Application of Bayesian Theory to the reporting of results in alcohol hair testing. Forensic Science International., 242, 56-58.
- Bossers, L., Paul, R., Berry, A.J., Kingston, R., Middendorp, C. and Guwy, A.J., 2014. An evaluation of decontamination and extraction techniques in the analysis of ethyl glucuronide and fatty acid ethyl esters from hair samples. Journal of Chromatography B, 953-954, 115-119.
- Paul, R., Kingston, R., Tsanaclis, L., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2011. Simultaneous determination of EtG and GHB in hair by GCMS/MS. Drug Testing and Analysis, 3, 201-205.
- Paul, R., 2008. Hair of the dog: alcohol hair analysis. Advances Journal, 56 (12).
- Paul, R., Kingston, R., Tsanaclis, L., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2008. Do drug users use less alcohol than non-drug users? Forensic Science International, 176, 82-86.
- Paul, R., Tsanaclis, L., Kingston, R., Berry, A.J. and Guwy, A.J., 2006. GC-MS-MS Determination of Gamma Hydroxybutyrate in blood and urine. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 6, 375-379.
- Bethan Davies. Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales
Profile of Teaching PG
- Forensic Toxicology - unit contributor
- Crime scene management and forensic science - unit leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- Advanced Forensic Science - unit leader
- Forensic science - unit contributor
- Case studies in forensic science - unit leader
'Hair of the Dog', Pint of Science - international science festival, 15 May 2017 more
Pint of Science - international science festival. Lecture presented: 'Hair of the Dog'
- Printable graphene sensing systems for drug and alcohol detection (SureScreen Diagnostics LtD, 01 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Health in Mind: a multidisciplinary network for new drug trends among people in prisons (Economic and Social Research Council, 01 Sep 2018). In Progress
- Cortisol hair analysis as an indicator of risk status from chronic stress. A pilot study (Institute of Biomedical Science, 01 Aug 2018). In Progress
- Detection of Ethyl Glucuronide in fingernail samples: Application to abstinence monitoring. (Royal Society of Chemistry Research Grant, 07 Dec 2017). Awarded
- Determination of NPS in surface water across South Wales (SYNLAB, 15 Nov 2017). Awarded
- Influence of BMI on EtG and FAEE levels in head hair. (Bournemouth University, 22 Feb 2017). Awarded
- TD-GC-TOF: A new approach for the analysis of drugs of abuse in hair (Business-led research collaboration investment, USW, 08 Jan 2016). Awarded
- Evaluation of new extraction techniques to enhance laboratory performance (Strategic Insight Programme, Higher Education Funding Council for Wales, 10 Apr 2013). Awarded
- Alcohol markers in hair: New detection techniques and evidence interpretation (University of Glamorgan, 10 Jan 2010). Awarded
- New developments in analytical toxicology for the investigation of drug facilitated assault (TrichoTech Ltd, 05 Sep 2004). Awarded
- Head of group, Forensic Science Research Group
- Accreditation lead, Chartered Society of Forensic Science
- Programme Leader, BSc Forensic Investigation
- Society of Hair Testing, Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs, 12 Jun 2017, Cardiff
- Forensic science workshops, Consultancy. Welsh Government
- Chemical analysis, Consultancy. Clariant
- Oil company training programme consultant, Consultancy. Sirte Oil Company
- PhD in Analytical Toxicology (University of Glamorgan, 2007)
- Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, Member,
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow, Fellow,
- Institute of Biomedical Science, Fellow,
- LTG (London Toxicology Group), Member,
- Royal Society of Chemistry, Fellow,
- Royal Society of Chemistry (C.Chem), Chartered Chemist, Fellow,
- Society of Hair Testing, Member,