Dr Amor Abdelkader
- 01202 961109
- aabdelkader at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor in Advanced Materials
- Christchurch House C226, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Amor Abdelkader received his PhD degree (2011) in Materials Science and Metallurgy from the University of Cambridge supervised by Professor Derek Fray, FRS. He then moved to study self-healing materials with Professor Sybrand van der Zwaag at the Delft University of Technology. In 2012, he Joined the school of materials at the University of Manchester to work in the graphene technologies. He then moved to the National Graphene Institute to work with Professor Sir Kostya Novoselov (a Nobel laureate in physics). Amor returned to Cambridge in 2016 where he was working with Professor Andrea Ferrari at the Cambridge Graphene Centre. In 2017, Amor was appointed as an associate professor of advanced materials at Bournemouth University. He has published over 40 papers, 20 patents, and 1 book chapter. His research activities cover a broad spectrum of materials topics ranging from newly discovered nanomaterials to traditional engineering materials such as alloys and ceramics. He also has a keen interest in the carbon dioxide sequestration.
Synthesis and Applications of Nanomaterials
The overarching theme of my research work revolves around the production, processing and applications of nanomaterials with a strong focus on the newly emerged two-dimensional (2D) materials. I study nanomaterials from their production through to their applications, in the belief that the full potential of these materials will only ever be achieved if all the steps before the final products are optimised. My research on the processing of 2D materials includes their functionalization, inks formulation, printing, and assembly into controlled architectures. My research on applications concentrates on energy storage/harvesting, wearable electronics, composites, and thermal management applications. I also have a keen interest in the electrochemical CO2 sequestration, and I am working on developing new processes for the conversion of CO2 into carbon functional materials.
Electrochemical Energy Storage Devices
In parallel with my interest in the 2D materials technology, I have a keen interest in energy storage devices. I develop new porous structures suitable for Li-ion batteries, supercapacitors and capacitive deionisation cells. Examples of my recent work and current projects include developing 3D interconnect LiFePO4, nanotubes of Li-Mn layered oxides; carbon coated silicon nanoparticles, cobalt–ferrite twin elliptical frustums, Mg-doped olivine nanofibers, zinc germinate nanosheets and bio-derivative carbon microtubes. I am also starting new research activities in Bournemouth exploring the molten metal batteries and other high-temperature batteries... My group is also working on developing novel concepts to recycle spent Li-batteries.more
Gao, G., Abdelkader, A. et al., 2018. CTAB-assisted growth of self-supported Zn
2GeO 4nanosheet network on a conductive foam as a binder-free electrode for long-life lithium-ion batteries. Nanoscale, 10 (3), 921-929.
- Abdelkader, A.M. and Fray, D.J., 2017. Controlled electrochemical doping of graphene-based 3D nanoarchitecture electrodes for supercapacitors and capacitive deionisation. Nanoscale, 9 (38), 14548-14557.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Karim, N., Vallés, C., Afroj, S., Novoselov, K.S. and Yeates, S.G., 2017. Ultraflexible and robust graphene supercapacitors printed on textiles for wearable electronics applications. 2D Materials, 4 (3).
- Zoromba, M.S., Abdel-Aziz, M.H., Bassyouni, M., Gutub, S., Demko, D. and Abdelkader, A., 2017. Electrochemical Activation of Graphene at Low Temperature: The Synthesis of Three-Dimensional Nanoarchitectures for High Performance Supercapacitors and Capacitive Deionization. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 5 (6), 4573-4581.
- Xiang, Y., Abdelkader, A. et al., 2017. Quick one-pot synthesis of amorphous carbon-coated cobalt-ferrite twin elliptical frustums for enhanced lithium storage capability. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 5 (17), 8062-8069.
- Ma, D., Zhang, P., Li, Y., Abdelkader, A.M., Singh, D.P., Ren, X. and Deng, L., 2016. 3D Networks of Carbon-Coated Magnesium-Doped Olivine Nanofiber as Binder-Free Cathodes for High-Performance Li-Ion Battery. Advanced Materials Interfaces, 3 (17).
- Abdelkader, A.M. and Kinloch, I.A., 2016. Mechanochemical Exfoliation of 2D Crystals in Deep Eutectic Solvents. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 4 (8), 4465-4472.
Ma, D., Li, Y., Zhang, P., Cooper, A.J., Abdelkader, A.M., Ren, X. and Deng, L., 2016. Mesoporous Li
1.2Mn 0.54Ni 0.13Co 0.13O 2nanotubes for high-performance cathodes in Li-ion batteries. Journal of Power Sources, 311, 35-41.
Abdelkader, A.M., 2016. Molten salts electrochemical synthesis of Cr
2AlC. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 36 (1), 33-42.
- Deng, L., Fang, H., Zhang, P., Abdelkader, A., Ren, X., Li, Y. and Xie, N., 2016. Nitrogen and sulfur dual-doped carbon microtubes with enhanced performances for oxygen reduction reaction. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 163 (5), H343-H349.
- Sole, C., Drewett, N.E., Liu, F., Abdelkader, A.M., Kinloch, I.A. and Hardwick, L.J., 2015. The role of re-aggregation on the performance of electrochemically exfoliated many-layer graphene for Li-ion batteries. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 753, 35-41.
- Vallés, C., Abdelkader, A.M., Young, R.J. and Kinloch, I.A., 2015. The effect of flake diameter on the reinforcement of few-layer graphene-PMMA composites. Composites Science and Technology, 111, 17-22.
- Abdelkader, A.M., 2015. Electrochemical synthesis of highly corrugated graphene sheets for high performance supercapacitors. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3 (16), 8519-8525.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Cooper, A.J., Dryfe, R.A.W. and Kinloch, I.A., 2015. How to get between the sheets: A review of recent works on the electrochemical exfoliation of graphene materials from bulk graphite. Nanoscale, 7 (16), 6944-6956.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Patten, H.V., Li, Z., Chen, Y. and Kinloch, I.A., 2015. Electrochemical exfoliation of graphite in quaternary ammonium-based deep eutectic solvents: a route for the mass production of graphane. Nanoscale, 7 (26), 11386-11392.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Kinloch, I.A. and Dryfe, R.A.W., 2014. High-yield electro-oxidative preparation of graphene oxide. Chemical Communications, 50 (61), 8402-8404.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Kinloch, I.A. and Dryfe, R.A.W., 2014. Continuous electrochemical exfoliation of micrometer-sized graphene using synergistic ion intercalations and organic solvents. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 6 (3), 1632-1639.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Vallés, C., Cooper, A.J., Kinloch, I.A. and Dryfe, R.A.W., 2014. Alkali reduction of graphene oxide in molten halide salts: Production of corrugated graphene derivatives for high-performance supercapacitors. ACS Nano, 8 (11), 11225-11233.
- Vallés, C., Abdelkader, A.M., Young, R.J. and Kinloch, I.A., 2014. Few layer graphene-polypropylene nanocomposites: The role of flake diameter. Faraday Discussions, 173, 379-390.
- Abdelkader, A.M. and Fray, D.J., 2013. Synthesis of self-passivated, and carbide-stabilized zirconium nanopowder. Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 15 (12).
- Deng, L., Young, R.J., Kinloch, I.A., Abdelkader, A.M., Holmes, S.M., De Haro-Del Rio, D.A. and Eichhorn, S.J., 2013. Supercapacitance from cellulose and carbon nanotube nanocomposite fibers. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 5 (20), 9983-9990.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Kilby, K.T., Cox, A. and Fray, D.J., 2013. DC voltammetry of electro-deoxidation of solid oxides. Chemical Reviews, 113 (5), 2863-2886.
Singh, D.P., Mulder, F.M., Abdelkader, A.M. and Wagemaker, M., 2013. Facile micro templating LiFePO
4electrodes for high performance Li-ion batteries. Advanced Energy Materials, 3 (5), 572-578.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Garcia, S.J. and Zwaag, S.V.D., 2013. Filling of surface cracks in MAX phase ceramics using cathodic electrophoretic deposition. Ceramics International, 39 (3), 3429-3433.
- Abdelkader, A.M. and Fray, D.J., 2012. Electrochemical synthesis of hafnium carbide powder in molten chloride bath and its densification. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 32 (16), 4481-4487.
- Abdelkader, A.M. and Fray, D.J., 2012. Electro-deoxidation of hafnium dioxide and niobia-doped hafnium dioxide in molten calcium chloride. Electrochimica Acta, 64, 10-16.
Abdelkader, A.M., Hyslop, D.J.S., Cox, A. and Fray, D.J., 2010. Electrochemical synthesis and characterization of a NdCo
5permanent magnet. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20 (29), 6039-6049.
- Hyslop, D.J.S., Abdelkader, A.M., Cox, A. and Fray, D.J., 2010. Utilization of constant current chronopotentiometry to synthesize a Co-Cr alloy. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 157 (7).
- Hyslop, D.J.S., Abdelkader, A.M., Cox, A. and Fray, D.J., 2010. Electrochemical synthesis of a biomedically important Co-Cr alloy. Acta Materialia, 58 (8), 3124-3130.
- Abdelkader, A.M. and Fray, D.J., 2010. Direct electrochemical preparation of Nb-10Hf-1Ti alloy. Electrochimica Acta, 55 (8), 2924-2931.
Abdelkader, A.M. and Daher, A., 2009. Preparation of hafnium powder by calciothermic reduction of HfO
2in molten chloride bath. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 469 (1-2), 571-575.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Daher, A. and El-Kashef, E., 2008. Novel decomposition method for zircon. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 460 (1-2), 577-580.
Abdelkader, A.M. and El-Kashif, E., 2007. Calciothermic reduction of zirconium oxide in molten CaCl
2. ISIJ International, 47 (1), 25-31.
- Abdelkader, A.M., Daher, A., Abdelkareem, R.A. and El-Kashif, E., 2007. Preparation of zirconium metal by the electrochemical reduction of zirconium oxide. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B: Process Metallurgy and Materials Processing Science, 38 (1), 35-44.
- Afroj, S., Karim, M.N., Abdelkader, A., Casson, A. and Yeates, S., 2016. Inkjet printing of graphene inks for wearable electronic applications. 480-481.
- Fushiwaki, Y., Abdelkader, A.M. and Young, R.J., 2015. Investigation of interaction between graphene and steel using raman spectroscopy. 191-194.
Abdelkader, A.M., Hyslop, D.J.S., Cox, A. and Fray, D.J., 2009. Aspects of the preparation of NdCo
5intermetallic via the FFC-Cambridge process. 1961-1973.
- University of Cambridge, Visiting Scientist (2017-)
- Nano-Structures & Nano-Objects, Editorial Board member