Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Shelley Ellis's (nee Broomfield) primary research interest is with the development and use of equipment within sport. This work uses a biomechanical technique analysis approach, combining anthropometry and ergonomics with performance in the sporting domain. This is currently being applied within a project that addresses the design of white water kayaks for female athletes. As a Team Paddler for South Coast Canoes, the kayaking community have recognised the impact of Shelley’s research and the support provided has enabled Shelley to reach a large number of kayakers nationally in order to share her research, both through an invited lecture at the Ladies Paddling Symposium and a number of smaller talks and workshops. Shelley has also published in the areas of disability sport focusing specifically on lower limb amputees and their use of prostheses, tactics used in different aged football academy teams and reliability of measurement in archery. These research areas have informed much of her teaching in the performance analysis areas... Shelley also lectured in Sports Development for a number of years, having previously worked in the Sports Development field. This is a second area of research focus for Shelley. In her spare time Shelley participates in and coaches white water kayaking. She is also a keen sports woman in general running competitively and taking part in long distance open water swims.more
Shelley's current research projects include:
- Anthropometrics of the white water kayaking population
- Optimum sitting height for paddle stroke efficiency in white water kayakers
- Investigating marksmanship analysis of Olympic Archery performance
- Biomechanical assessment of lower-limb prostheses in Kayaking
- Biomechanical assessment of coaching tools in Golf
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Callaway, A., Kavanagh, E. and Ellis, S., 2019. An Exploration of the Mechanism of Action of an Equine-Assisted Intervention. Animals, 9 (6).
- Ellis, S., Callaway, A. and Dyer, B., 2018. The influence of lower-limb prostheses technology on Paracanoeing time-trial performance. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13 (6), 568-574.
- Broomfield, S.A.L. and Lauder, M., 2015. Improving paddling efficiency through raising sitting height in female white water kayakers. Journal of Sports Sciences.
- Smith, S., Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2013. Youth to Senior Football: A season long case study of goal scoring methods between under 16, under 18 and first team. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13, 413-427.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Inter-Rater Reliability and Criterion Validity of Scatter Diagrams as an Input Method for Marksmanship Analysis: Computerised Notational Analysis for Archery. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 12 (2), 291-310.
- Dyer, B.T.J., Sewell, P., Noroozi, S., Broomfield, S. and Callaway, A., 2012. Sprint Prostheses used at the Paralympics: A proposal for an assessment method to maintain fairness. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 36 (3), 306-311.
- Dyer, B.T., Sewell, P., Noroozi, S., Broomfield, S. and Redwood, S., 2010. Using a Mixed Method Approach to Monitor Lower-limb Sprint Prostheses in Disability Sport: A Proposal. Sports Technology.
- Dyer, B., Ellis, S. and Callaway, A., 2018. The contribution of a lower-limb prosthesis on Paracanoeing performance: a case study. In: ICF 2nd World Conference on Paracanoe 4-7 October 2018 Sweden.
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Kavanagh, E., Callaway, A. and Ellis, S., 2018. The Mechanism of Action of an Equine Assisted Intervention. In: International Congress of Equine Facilitated Programmes 25-29 June 2018 Dublin Ireland.
- Broomfield, S., 2012. Improving Paddling Efficiency Through Raising Sitting Height in Female White Water Kayakers. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS). 2012 Galsgow.
- Broomfield, S., Smith, N. and Lauder, M., 2010. A preliminary Investigation into the Effect of Lower Limb Compression Garments on Performance and Muscle Activity. In: BASES Student Conference 30-31 March 2010 University of Aberystwyth.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S.. Technical factors utilised by elite archers: towards setting an agenda for archery. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Scoring and Conceding in Beach Soccer. Bournemouth University.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Tactical Analysis of Beach Soccer Teams. Bournemouth University.
- Broomfield, S.A.L. and Callaway, A., 2014. Post-match analysis & technology – Match of the Day turns 50. Bournemouth University News. Available from: http://goo.gl/HwIecn.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Performance Analysis
- Health and Fitness Management
- Developing Coaching Practice
- Ladies Paddling Symposium
- Using sports performance software to enhance student assignment feedback (Santander, 11 Jan 2016). Completed
- Pump-priming Beach Soccer Event (BU - Internal, 01 Sep 2014). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Performance Analyst - England Beach Soccer
- Workshop leader at Surrey County Athletics junior development day
- South Coast Canoes Workshop on seat height impact on paddling efficiency
- South Coast Canoes Team Paddler
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2015
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2014
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. England Beach Soccer, Shelley Broomfield, 01 Sep 2013
- Hilton Hotel Group, Team Building. Hilton Hotel Group
- Westminster Sports Unit project, Creation of support pack for athletes. Westminster Sports Unit
- Technique Analysis of athlete, Technique Analysis. Non disclosure agreement
- PG Cert in Education Practise (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- BSc (Hons) in Sports Science (University of Wales Swansea, 2004)
- MSc in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics (Distinction) (University of Chichester, 2011)
- BASES, Member (2009-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2009-),
- International Society of Performance Analysis of Sport, Member (2013-),