Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Keith D. Parry is Deputy Head of Department in the Department of Sport and Event Management at Bournemouth University and an Adjunct Fellow of Western Sydney University. His research interests are based on the sociology of sport, with a focus on sports fandom, health and the spectator experience. His knowledge and expertise have also been recognised with invitations to write for websites such as The Conversation and News.com.au, allowing him to disseminate his knowledge to a wide audience. He is an award-winning teacher and writer, receiving a UN Day Media Award for a co-authored media piece: Pushing casual sport to the margins threatens cities’ social cohesion.
Keith’s PhD examined the formation of sports heroes within the setting of a new professional sports team (the GWS GIANTS), it investigated when and how heroes are formed, and who (or what) dictates their emergence. His research has examined issues around identity, masculinity, and the conflicts between country and culture in Australia... This research has provided him with a deep insight into both the sociology of sport (and sports fans) and national identity.
Keith is passionate about teaching and has developed a number of blended learning strategies, often making use of innovative technology, to enhance his teaching. He is making particular use of Twitter within his teaching to engage students inside and outside of the classroom. You can follow Keith on Twitter at @sportinaus. His initiatives have included a mock press conference held with the GWS GIANTS club and the creation of an iTunes U course. Keith’s creative, enthusiastic, innovative and dynamic teaching approach has been recognised for positively motivating and engaging students through a variety of teaching awards. He is a Senior Fellow of the HEA.more
- Parry, K.D., Storr, R., Kavanagh, E. and Anderson, E., 2021. Conceptualising Organisational Cultural Lag on Marriage Equality in Australian Sporting Organisations. Journal of Sociology.
- Fenton, A., Keegan, B. and Parry, K.D., 2021. Understanding sporting social media brand communities, place and social capital – a netnography of football fans. Communication and Sport.
- Aquino, K., Wise, A., Velayutham, S., Parry, K.D. and Neal, S., 2020. The right to the city: outdoor informal sport and urban belonging in multicultural spaces. Annals of Leisure Research.
- Parry, K.D., Cleland, J. and Kavanagh, E., 2020. Racial folklore, black masculinities and the reproduction of dominant racial ideologies: The case of Israel Folau. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 55 (7), 850-867.
- Richards, J. and Parry, K.D., 2020. Beers and blurred boundaries: The spatial and gendered organisation of pre-match venues for English football fans. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 55 (6), 647-663.
- Parry, K.D. and Batey, J., 2020. For a Few Dollars More – the representation of elite women’s cricket in Australia. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 28 (1), 55-65.
- Cleland, J., Adair, D. and Parry, K., 2020. Fair Go? Indigenous Rugby League Players and the Racial Exclusion of the Australian National Anthem. Communication and Sport.
- Clarkson, B.G., Culvin, A., Pope, S. and Parry, K.D., 2020. Covid-19: Reflections on threat and uncertainty for the future of elite women’s football in England. Managing Sport and Leisure.
- Parry, K.D., 2020. The formation of heroes and the myth of national identity. Sport in Society.
- White, A.J., D. Parry, K., Humphries, C., Phelan, S., Batten, J. and Magrath, R., 2020. Duty of Karius: Media Framing of Concussion Following the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final. Communication and Sport.
- Richards, J., Parry, K.D. and Gill, F., 2020. “The guys love it when chicks ask for help”: an exploration of female rugby league fans. Sport in Society.
- Cleland, J., Parry, K.D. and Radford, D., 2019. “Perhaps She Only Had a Banana Available to Throw”: Habitus, Racial Prejudice, and Whiteness on Australian Football League Message Boards. Sociology of Sport Journal, 1-9.
- Parry, K.D., 2019. Managing Sport Business: An Introduction, 2nd edition. SPORT MANAGEMENT REVIEW, 22 (5), 750-751.
- George, E., Parry, K.D. and Bennie, A., 2018. A thematic analysis of community engagement initiatives in Australian football. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 21, S42.
- Parry, K.D., Hall, T. and Baxter, A., 2017. Who ate all the pies? The importance of food in the Australian sporting experience. Sport in Society, 20 (2), 202-218.
- Parry, K., Khan, A. and Hughes, B., 2017. Taking on the scalpers. Australasian Leisure Management, 20.
- Parry, K.D., 2015. Research methods in sport studies and sport management: a practical guide. Annals of Leisure Research, 18 (3), 434-440.
- Eastwood, A. and Parry, K.D., 2014. Soccer and samba. , 88-91.
- Parry, K.D., Jones, I. and Wann, D.L., 2014. An Examination of Sport Fandom in the United Kingdom: A Comparative Analysis of Fan Behaviors, Socialization Processes, and Team Identification. Journal of Sport Behavior, 37 (3), 251-267.
- Parry, K.D., 2012. Game of two passions: A football fan's autoethnography. Qualitative Research Journal, 12 (2), 238-250.
- Parry, K.D. and Challis, L., 2010. How the Legacy from the 2012 Olympics will Impact on Young People in Sport: A Poster Presentation Assessment. LINK, 26, 22-23.
- Parry, K.D., 2009. Search for the hero: an investigation into the sports heroes of British sports fans. Sport in Society, 12 (1), 212-226.
- Hynes, D., Kiernan, A. and Parry, K.D., 2013. Football and Communities Across Codes. Witney: Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Parry, K.D., Richards, J. and McAuliffe, C., 2021. Real-Time, Real World Learning—Capitalising on Mobile Technology. In: Morley, D. and Jamil, M.G., eds. Applied Pedagogies for Higher Education: Real World Learning and Innovation across the Curriculum. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 371-393.
- Rowe, D., Parry, K.D. and Pang, B., 2020. The China Question and Soccer in Australia. In: Mangan, J.A., Horton, P. and Tagsold, C., eds. Softpower, Soccer, Supremacy: The Chinese Dream. Peter Lang.
- Muir, K., Parry, K.D. and Anderson, E., 2019. Masculinity and inclusive rugby in the united kingdom. The Palgrave Handbook of Masculinity and Sport. 323-340.
- Parry, K.D., George, E.S., Richards, J. and Stevens, A., 2019. Watching Football as Medicine: promoting health at the football stadium. In: Krustrup, P. and Parnell, D., eds. Football as Medicine: Prescribing Football for Global Health Promotion. London: Routledge.
- Parry, K.D., Hall, T. and Baxter, A., 2018. Who ate all the pies? The importance of food in the Australian sporting experience. In: Parnell, D., Curran, K. and Philpott, M., eds. Healthy Stadia: An Insight from Policy to Practice. London: Routledge, 22-38.
- Parry, K.D., Rowe, D., George, E.S. and Hall, T.J., 2017. Healthy sport consumption: Moving away from pies and beer. Sport and Health: Exploring the Current State of Play. 219-237.
- Parry, K.D., 2014. It may be the World Cup, but how global is the ‘world game’? 205-208.
- Parry, K.D., 2013. Can't buy me love: the rise and fall of an AFL" hero". 15-24.
- Parry, K.D. and Batey, J., 2020. For a Few Dollars More – The Representation of Elite Women’s Cricket in Australia. In: 2019 Women in Sport and Exercise Conference 11-12 June 2019 St Mary's University, Twickenham, London, UK. 61.
- Hansen, M., Parry, K.D., Kavanagh, E. and Anderson, E., 2019. “God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve” – An analysis of online responses to the EPL’s support of Rainbow Laces. In: Fourth annual interdisciplinary Sport and Discrimination Conference 4 September 2019 Southampton Solent University, Southampton, England.
- Parry, K.D., 2018. The formation of Sports Heroes: Mythology and National Identity. In: Changing the rules of the game? An interdisciplinary symposium examining the relationship between sport and media 16-17 May 2018 Loughborough.
- Parry, K.D., Khan, A.M. and Richards, J., 2018. Paying the price: ticket purchasing at sports events.
- Parry, K.D. and Cleland, J., 2018. Israel Folau, Australian football and racial folklore. 48.
- Parry, K.D., 2017. Jeremy Cameron: boy from the bush.
- George, E.S., Rodas, A. and Parry, K.D., 2017. Mind and body: academic engagement with industry.
- Parry, K.D., 2017. The formation of sports heroes and the role of national identity. 60.
- Cull, M. and Parry, K.D., 2017. The cost of organised sport: increasing sport participation in NSW. 58.
- Parry, K.D., 2016. ‘We have lattes over here too…’: Sydney rivalries, old and new.
- Parry, K.D., 2016. Unfair dinkum!: the exclusive nature of Australian sport.
- Parry, K.D., 2016. Bullying or banter?: abuse in sport.
- Gatzidis, C., Parry, K., Kavanagh, E., Wilding, A. and Gibson, D., 2009. Towards the development of an interactive 3D coach training serious game. 186-189.
- Gatzidis, C., Parry, K., Kavanagh, E., Wilding, A. and Gibson, D., 2009. Towards the Development of an Interactive 3D Coach Training Serious Game. IEEE Computer Society, 186-189.
- Storr, R., Knijnik, J., Parry, K.D., Collinson, A. and Staples, E., 2019. Developing LGBT+ Inclusive Supporter Groups in the Big Bash League. Western Sydney University. Available from: https://researchdirect.westernsydney.edu.au/islandora/object/uws:53512/datastream/PDF/view.
- Parry, K.D., Richards, J. and Melville, B., 2018. Football Federation of Australia Multicultural Settlement Program Evaluation. Sydney: Western Sydney University.
- Parry, K.D. and Hall, T.J., 2015. Fan Engagement and Experience: A Study into Perceptions of ARU Members. St Leonards, NSW: Western Sydney University.
- Parry, K.D., Anderson, E. and Hurst, H., 2020. Football and dementia: heading must be banned until the age of 18. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/football-and-dementia-heading-must-be-banned-until-the-age-of-18-150575.
- Parry, K.D., Adair, D. and Cleland, J., 2020. National anthems in sport: songs of praise or memorials that are past their use-by date?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/national-anthems-in-sport-songs-of-praise-or-memorials-that-are-past-their-use-by-date-142097.
- Clarkson, B., Culvin, A., Parry, K.D. and Pope, S., 2020. Coronavirus: the future of women’s football is under threat. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-the-future-of-womens-football-is-under-threat-139582.
- Batey, J. and Parry, K.D., 2020. Coronavirus: why self-isolation brings mental health strain for elite athletes. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-why-self-isolation-brings-mental-health-strain-for-elite-athletes-135273.
- Parry, K.D., Anderson, E. and Smith, M., 2019. Big men do cry: cricketers are leading the charge for inclusive masculinity. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/big-men-do-cry-cricketers-are-leading-the-charge-for-inclusive-masculinity-127108.
- Rowe, D., Smith, M., Batten, J. and Parry, K.D., 2019. The problem with this heroic Ashes moment by Steve Smith. news.com.au. Available from: https://amp.news.com.au/sport/cricket/the-ashes/the-problem-with-this-heroic-ashes-moment-by-steve-smith/news-story/131baca3d5b9a91a1a6c40b78a2469be.
- Parry, K.D. and Kavanagh, E., 2019. Ben Stokes: England cricketer’s triumph over adversity is a classic hero’s tale. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/ben-stokes-england-cricketers-triumph-over-adversity-is-a-classic-heros-tale-122561.
- Rowe, D., Parry, K.D. and Smith, M., 2019. The Ashes: cricket and the captain’s curse. ON LINE OPINION - Australia's e-journal of social and political debate. Available from: https://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=20429.
- Parry, K.D. and Cleland, J., 2019. Our national anthem is non-inclusive: Indigenous Australians shouldn’t have to sing it. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/our-national-anthem-is-non-inclusive-indigenous-australians-shouldnt-have-to-sing-it-118177.
- Richards, J., Parry, K.D. and Anderson, E., 2019. Rugby league may finally have reached its tipping point on player behaviour and violence. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/rugby-league-may-finally-have-reached-its-tipping-point-on-player-behaviour-and-violence-111421.
- Anderson, E., Parry, K.D. and Batten, J., 2019. Sporting dads: male athletes need family-friendly policies too. Available from: https://theconversation.com/sporting-dads-male-athletes-need-family-friendly-policies-too-125514.
- Cull, M. and Parry, K.D., 2018. Pay to play: is participating in sport becoming too expensive for everyday Australians?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/pay-to-play-is-participating-in-sport-becoming-too-expensive-for-everyday-australians-101826.
- Parry, K.D., 2018. Football fans are fuming over Optus’ World Cup coverage, but it’s not entirely to blame. news.com.au. Available from: https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/world-cup/football-fans-are-fuming-over-optus-world-cup-coverage-but-its-not-entirely-to-blame/news-story/16bae25cd85985f293d90e69a6cf7fe1.
- Orlando, J. and Parry, K.D., 2018. The IOC thinks eSports are too violent for the Olympics, but traditional sports are violent too. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/the-ioc-thinks-esports-are-too-violent-for-the-olympics-but-traditional-sports-are-violent-too-96346.
- WIse, A., Parry, K.D., Aquino, K., Neal, S. and Velayutham, S., 2018. Pushing casual sport to the margins threatens cities’ social cohesion. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/pushing-casual-sport-to-the-margins-threatens-cities-social-cohesion-92352.
- Richards, J., Parry, K.D., Smith, M. and Hall, T.J., 2018. Note to governments: sports stadiums should benefit everyone, not just fans. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/note-to-governments-sports-stadiums-should-benefit-everyone-not-just-fans-105956.
- Parry, K.D. and Richards, J., 2018. The AFLW found instant success, but challenges remain for its long-term sustainability. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/the-aflw-found-instant-success-but-challenges-remain-for-its-long-term-sustainability-104406.
- Parry, K.D. and George, E.S., 2018. Should the Commonwealth Games come with a health warning?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/should-the-commonwealth-games-come-with-a-health-warning-94579.
- Parry, K.D. and Kavanagh, E., 2018. Can the cricketers banned for ball tampering ever regain their hero status?: it’s happened before. Available from: https://theconversation.com/can-the-cricketers-banned-for-ball-tampering-ever-regain-their-hero-status-its-happened-before-94096.
- Parry, K.D., Kavanagh, E. and Freeland, S., 2018. Just not cricket: why ball tampering is cheating. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/just-not-cricket-why-ball-tampering-is-cheating-93935.
- Bennie, A. and Parry, K.D., 2018. In Harley Windsor, Australia has its first Indigenous Winter Olympian: why has it taken so long?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/in-harley-windsor-australia-has-its-first-indigenous-winter-olympian-why-has-it-taken-so-long-91309.
- Parry, K.D., Kavanagh, E. and Storr, R., 2018. Why sport hasn’t made much progress on LGBTI+ rights since the Sochi Olympics. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/why-sport-hasnt-made-much-progress-on-lgbti-rights-since-the-sochi-olympics-91091.
- Parry, K.D., Khan, A.M. and Hughes, B., 2017. The new ticketing technology that may make scalping a thing of the past. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/the-new-ticketing-technology-that-may-make-scalping-a-thing-of-the-past-87674.
- Parry, K.D., 2017. 'Australian'enough to be a hero?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/australian-enough-to-be-a-hero-71631.
- Parry, K.D., 2016. Eddie Betts and racism in sport: it's not enough to just not join in. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/eddie-betts-and-racism-in-sport-its-not-enough-to-just-not-join-in-64241.
- Parry, K.D., 2016. Starting out and getting ahead in the sport industry. LinkedIn. Available from: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/starting-out-getting-ahead-sport-industry-keith-parry.
- Parry, K.D. and Hughes, B., 2016. The price is not right: how much is too much for a beer at sporting events?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/the-price-is-not-right-how-much-is-too-much-for-a-beer-at-sporting-events-69708.
- Parry, K.D., 2015. Booing Adam Goodes – racism is in the stitching of the AFL. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/booing-adam-goodes-racism-is-in-the-stitching-of-the-afl-45316.
- Parry, K.D., Kavanagh, E.J. and Jones, I., 2015. Adoration and abuse: how virtual maltreatment harms athletes. The Conversation. Available from: http://theconversation.com/adoration-and-abuse-how-virtual-maltreatment-harms-athletes-40389.
- Parry, K.D., 2015. What Sam Burgess' Face Tells Us about Australian Sport. Available from: http://theallrounder.co/2015/01/27/what-sam-burgess-face-tells-us-about-australian-sport/.
- Parry, K.D., 2014. Boxing Day Test: sunny spectacle on a stadium-sized stage. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/boxing-day-test-sunny-spectacle-on-a-stadium-sized-stage-34300.
- Parry, K.D., 2014. If a Sporting Event in Played and No One Watches it on TV, Does it Still Happen?. The Allrounder. Available from: http://theallrounder.co/2014/11/17/if-a-sporting-event-is-played-and-no-one-watches-it-on-tv-does-it-still-happen/.
- Parry, K.D., 2014. World Cup fever hits Vanuatu. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/world-cup-fever-hits-vanuatu-27966.
- Parry, K.D., 2013. More offside than onside: There's still a long way to go to ensure gender equality in sport - whether it be playing, coaching, officiating or leadership.. Motherpedia. Available from: http://www.motherpedia.com.au/article/more-offside-than-onside.
- Parry, K.D. and Kavanagh, E., 2013. Sledging is out of order in the workplace, so why not the sports field?. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/sledging-is-out-of-order-in-the-workplace-so-why-not-the-sports-field-20812.
- Parry, K.D., 2012. GWS Giants lack a true sense of home. The Roar. Available from: http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/01/26/gws-giants-lack-a-true-sense-of-home/.
- Parry, K.D., 2012. Welkum to Lodnon 2012 Oimplycs! In sponsorship war, common sense is first casualty. Sports Business Insider. Available from: http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/news/category/sponsorship-and-marketing/welkum-to-the-lodnon-2102-oimplycs-in-games-sponsorship-war-commonsense-is-first-casualty/.
- Parry, K.D., 2017. The bad, the good, and the ugly: the formation of heroes within the setting of a new sports team.
- Informal ‘pickup’ sport, social inclusion and urban green space policy (Research England, 02 Dec 2019). Completed
- Evaluation of Football Federation of Australia Multicultural Settlement Program (Football Federation Australia, 01 Feb 2018). Completed
- Developing Lesbian, Gay, Bi, and Trans + (LGBT+) Inclusive Supporter Groups (Cricket Victoria, 14 Jan 2018). Completed
- Stadium Precinct Research Project (Populous, 01 Mar 2017). Completed
- Improving health and wellness through Rugby League (Bulldogs Rugby League Club, 01 Feb 2017). Completed
- Bulldogs EOI response NSW NRL Centres of Excellence Program (Bulldogs Rugby League Club, 23 Nov 2016). Completed
- Frontiers in Sports and Active Living, Editorial Board of Sports Management and Marketing (2020-)
- Managing Sport and Leisure, Editorial Board Member, https://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=editorialBoard&journalCode=rmle21
- Telling the Story of Sport: Narrating Sport in a Global Context, National identity, myth and sports heroes, 21 Sep 2020, Bristol / Online
External Media and Press
- Racism is woven into the very DNA of Australian cricket, Crikey, 11 Jan 2021. https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/01/11/scg-racism-india-australia-sport-cricket/
- Radio interview - Women's football under threat, Heart Hampshire - U.K. Regional Radio, 17 Jun 2020. https://mms.tveyes.com/PlaybackPortal.aspx?SavedEditID=4c24d632-ceca-4e41-9b72-d8ea2efacb74
- Footballers Boycott Social Media, BBC World News, 23 Apr 2019. https://twitter.com/i/status/1120585317831139328