Dr Daisy Fan
- 01202 961526
- dfan at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic In Tourism and Hospitality
- Dorset House D122, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Sustainable cities and communities
"Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable"
Responsible consumption and production
"Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns"
- Shang, K., Fan, D.X.F. and Buhalis, D., 2023. Tour guides’ self-efficacy and resilience capability building through sharing economy platforms. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 35 (4), 1562-1583.
- Fan, D.X.F. and Jia, G., 2023. How do tourists respond to meta-stereotypes? Understanding their willingness to interact, self-presentation and the role of power. Tourism Management, 94.
- Fan, D.X.F., Qiu, H., Jenkins, C.L. and Lau, C., 2023. Towards a better tourist-host relationship: the role of social contact between tourists’ perceived cultural distance and travel attitude. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 31 (2), 204-228.
- Fan, D.X.F., 2023. Understanding the tourist-resident relationship through social contact: progressing the development of social contact in tourism. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 31 (2), 406-424.
- Jia, G., Yao, Y. and Fan, D.X.F., 2023. Travel in your way or in my way? Resolution of conflict between young adult children and their parents during family vacation decision-making. Current Issues in Tourism, 26 (4), 664-680.
- Luo, J.M., Fan, D.X.F. and Fan, Y., 2023. Regional city integration and its impacts on tourism development. Anatolia.
- Guo, Q., Shen, H., Fan, D.X.F. and Buhalis, D., 2023. CSR influence on job performance: the roles of psychological needs fulfillment and organizational identification among tourism firms. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Shen, H., Zhao, C., Fan, D.X.F. and Buhalis, D., 2022. The effect of hotel livestreaming on viewers’ purchase intention: Exploring the role of parasocial interaction and emotional engagement. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 107.
- Tomczyk, A.T., Buhalis, D., Fan, D.X.F. and Williams, N.L., 2022. Price-personalization: Customer typology based on hospitality business. Journal of Business Research, 147, 462-476.
- Fan, D.X.F., Tsaur, S.H., Lin, J.H., Chang, T.Y. and Tsa, Y.R.T., 2022. Tourist Intercultural Competence: A Multidimensional Measurement and Its Impact on Tourist Active Participation and Memorable Cultural Experiences. Journal of Travel Research, 61 (2), 414-429.
- Fan, D.X.F., Hsu, C.H.C. and Liu, A.X., 2022. Transforming Brand Identity to Hotel Performance: The Moderating Effect of Social Capital. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research.
- Luo, J.M. and Fan, D.X.F., 2022. Exploring entertainment tourism experience in integrated resorts: a process-based perspective. Anatolia.
- Yu, I.Y., Yang, M.X., Fan, D.X.F. and Zeng, K.J., 2022. Can travelling abroad experiences trigger tourist misbehaviours? The role of moral relativism. Current Issues in Tourism.
- Dai, M., Fan, D.X.F., Wang, R., Ou, Y. and Ma, X., 2021. Residents’ social capital in rural tourism development: Guanxi in housing demolition. Journal of Destination Marketing and Management, 22.
- Lin, J.H., Fan, D.X.F., Tsaur, S.H. and Tsai, Y.R., 2021. Tourists’ cultural competence: A cosmopolitan perspective among Asian tourists. Tourism Management, 83.
- Wassler, P. and Fan, D.X.F., 2021. A tale of four futures: Tourism academia and COVID-19. Tourism Management Perspectives, 38.
- Liu, A., Fan, D.X.F. and Qiu, R.T.R., 2021. Does Culture Affect Tourism Demand? A Global Perspective. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 45 (1), 192-214.
- Ma, X.L., Dai, M.L. and Fan, D.X.F., 2020. Cooperation or confrontation? Exploring stakeholder relationships in rural tourism land expropriation. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 28 (11), 1841-1859.
- Qian, J., Law, R. and Fan, D.X.F., 2020. Exploring tourists' experience at private social dining: Dimensionality and satisfaction. International Journal of Tourism Research, 22 (6), 776-787.
- Qiu, D., Lin, P.M.C., Feng, S.Y., Peng, K.L. and Fan, D., 2020. The future of Airbnb in China: industry perspective from hospitality leaders. Tourism Review, 75 (4), 609-624.
- Liu, Y., Yao, Y. and Fan, D.X.F., 2020. Evaluating Tourism Market Regulation from Tourists’ Perspective: Scale Development and Validation. Journal of Travel Research, 59 (6), 975-992.
- Liu, A.X., Hsu, C.H.C. and Fan, D.X.F., 2020. From brand identity to brand equity: a multilevel analysis of the organization–employee bidirectional effects in upscale hotels. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32 (7), 2285-2304.
- Luo, J.M., Lam, C.F. and Fan, D.X.F., 2020. The development of measurement scale for entertainment tourism experience: a case study in Macau. Current Issues in Tourism, 23 (7), 852-866.
- Qin, Y., Gu, H., Li, B. and Fan, D., 2020. The Chinese hospitality industry: a perspective article. Tourism Review, 75 (1), 117-121.
- Ma, X.L., Dai, M.L. and Fan, D.X.F., 2020. Land expropriation in tourism development: Residents' attitudinal change and its influencing mechanism. Tourism Management, 76.
- Fan, D.X.F., Hsu, C.H.C. and Lin, B., 2020. Tourists’ experiential value co-creation through online social contacts: Customer-dominant logic perspective. Journal of Business Research, 108, 163-173.
- Yao, B., Qiu, R.T.R., Fan, D.X.F., Liu, A. and Buhalis, D., 2019. Standing out from the crowd – an exploration of signal attributes of Airbnb listings. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31 (12), 4520-4542.
- Lin, P.M.C., Qiu Zhang, H., Hung, K., Lin, B. and Fan, D.X.F., 2019. Stakeholders’ views of travelers’ choice of Airbnb. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 36 (9), 1037-1049.
- Lau, C.K.H., Fan, D.X.F., Milne, S., Qiu, H. and Sun, M., 2019. Chinese venturers to Pacific Small Island Developing States: Travel and lifestyle. International Journal of Tourism Research, 21 (5), 665-674.
- Fan, D.X.F., Buhalis, D. and Lin, B., 2019. A tourist typology of online and face-to-face social contact: Destination immersion and tourism encapsulation/decapsulation. Annals of Tourism Research, 78.
- Lin, P., Fan, X., Zhang, H. and Lau, C., 2019. Spend Less and Experience More: Understanding Tourists’ Social Contact in the Airbnb Context. International journal of hospitality management.
- Fan, D.X.F., Liu, A. and Qiu, R.T.R., 2019. Revisiting the relationship between host attitudes and tourism development: A utility maximization approach. Tourism Economics, 25 (2), 171-188.
- Qiu, H., Fan, D.X.F., Lyu, J., Lin, P.M.C. and Jenkins, C.L., 2019. Analyzing the Economic Sustainability of Tourism Development: Evidence from Hong Kong. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 43 (2), 226-248.
- Fan, D., Buhalis, D. and Lin, B., 2019. Tourists' online and face-to-face social contact and destination immersion. e-Review of Tourism Research, 16 (2-3), 224-233.
- Fan, D.X.F., Zhang, H.Q., Jenkins, C.L. and Lin, P.M.C., 2017. Does Tourist–Host Social Contact Reduce Perceived Cultural Distance? Journal of Travel Research, 56 (8), 998-1010.
- Fan, D.X.F., Zhang, H.Q., Jenkins, C.L. and Tavitiyaman, P., 2017. Tourist typology in social contact: An addition to existing theories. Tourism Management, 60, 357-366.
- Fan, D.X.F., 2017. 35th International Society of Travel & Tourism Educators (ISTTE) annual conference, “Global Strategies in Tourism & Hospitality Education”, Hangzhou, China, October 12–14, 2016. Journal of Teaching in Travel and Tourism, 17 (2), 135-137.
- Qiu Zhang, H., Fan, D.X.F., Tse, T.S.M. and King, B., 2017. Creating a scale for assessing socially sustainable tourism. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 25 (1), 61-78.
- Fan, D.X.F., Zhang, H.Q., Jenkins, C.L. and Lin, P.M.C., 2016. Does social contact lessen perceived cultural distance? Evidence from tourist–host social contact. Annals of Tourism Research, 61, 223-225.
- Fan, D.X.F., 2016. The 21st Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism: 7–9 January 2016, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Anatolia, 27 (4), 549-551.
- Fan, D.X.F., Qiu, H., Hsu, C.H.C. and Liu, Z.G., 2015. Comparing Motivations and Intentions of Potential Cruise Passengers from Different Demographic Groups: The Case of China. Journal of China Tourism Research, 11 (4), 461-480.
- Chen, C., Shen, H. and Fan, D.X.F., 2015. Hai Di Lao Hot Pot: From Employee Stimulation to Service Innovation. Journal of China Tourism Research, 11 (3), 337-348.
- Fan, D.X.F. and Hsu, C.H.C., 2014. Potential Mainland Chinese Cruise Travelers' Expectations, Motivations, and Intentions. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 31 (4), 522-535.
- Fan, X., Buhalis, D., Fragkaki, E. and Tsai, Y.-R., 2020. Achieving active ageing through value and value co-creation in leisure and tourism. In: Travel and Tourism Research Association International Conference 16-18 June 2020 Victoria, BC, Canada.
- Lin, P.M.C., Fan, D.X.F., Zhang, H.Q. and Lau, C., 2019. Spend less and experience more: Understanding tourists’ social contact in the Airbnb context. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 83, 65-73.
- Fan, X., Buhalis, D. and Fragkaki, E., 2019. Towards a Better Quality of Life: Value Co-Creation with the Active Elderly in Leisure Service. In: Leisure Studies Association Annual Conference 9-11 July 2019 Dundee, UK.
- Fan, X., Liu, A., Wu, D. and Li, G., 2019. The impact of social contact on diaspora tourism – A mediating role of social identities. In: 2019 APacCHRIE & EuroCHRIE Joint Conference 22-25 May 2019 Hong Kong, SAR.
- Fan, X., 2019. The Role of Social Contact between Perceived Cultural Distance and Travel Attitude. In: Travel and Tourism Research Association 2019 European Chapter Conference 8-10 April 2019 Bournemouth, UK.
- Fan, X., Buhalis, D. and Lin, B., 2019. Online and Face-to-Face Social Contact and Tourists’ Destination Immersion. In: 26th annual ENTER2019 eTourism Conference 29 January-1 February 2019 Nicosia, Cyprus. e-Review of Tourism Research Texas A & M University.
- Fan, D.X.F. and Liu, A., 2019. The effects of online and face-to-face experiential value co-creation on tourists' wellbeing. e-Review of Tourism Research, 17 (3), 385-393.
- Hoang, M.L. and Fan, X., 2018. A Study of Onefinestay’s guest experience in comparison to high-end hotels: Evidence from Onefinestay’s blog analysis. In: 27th Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) Annual Research Conference 21-25 May 2018 Bournemouth University, UK.
- Qiu, R., Fan, X. and Liu, A., 2017. Exploring the Booking Determinants of the Airbnb Properties: An Example of the Listings of London. In: Annual eTourism Conference (ENTER) 24-26 January 2018 Jönköping, Sweden. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2018, 44-51 Springer.
- Fan, X., Liu, A. and Qiu, R.T., 2017. The Impact of the Culture Distance on Tourism Demand--An Econometric Method from a Global Perspective. In: Advances in Tourism Marketing Conferences 2017 6-9 September 2017 Casablanca, Morocco.
- Lau, C.K.H., Qiu, H.Q., Fan, X. and Milne, S., 2017. Exploring Chinese Tourists’ Constraints and Facilitators of Traveling to Pacific SIDS. In: 3rd Global Tourism and Hospitality Conference 5-7 June 2017 Hong Kong.
- Lau, C., Qiu, H.Q., Milne, S., Fan, X. and Sun, M., 2017. Getting Ready for the Chinese Wave: Exploring the Tourism Social Sustainability in Pacific SIDS. In: The 27th Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) Annual Conference 7-10 February 2017 Dunedin, New Zealand.
- Fan, X. and Qiu, H.Q., 2016. Exploring the Dimensionality of Tourist-Host Social Contact and the Typology of Tourists. In: The 21st Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism 7-9 January 2016 Philadelphia, PA, US.
- Qiu, H.Q., Fan, X., Tse, T. and Lin, P.M.C., 2015. Scale Development for Social Sustainability of Tourism. In: The 2015 Annual ICHRIE Summer Conference 29-31 July 2015 Orlando, FL, US.
- Qiu, H.Q., FAN, X. and Bai, B., 2015. Antecedents of Switching Behavior in the Hotel Industry. In: The 5th Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management Conference 18-21 June 2015 Beppu, Japan.
- Fan, X. and Qiu, H.Q., 2014. Cultural Distance Research in Tourist Behavior - Review and Critique. In: The 11thNew Zealand Tourism and Hospitality Research Conference 9-12 December 2014 Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Fan, X., 2014. Cultural Differences and Travel Experience - Evidence from Hong Kong Residents Traveling to Mainland China. In: The 12th APacCHRIE Conference 21-24 May 2014 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Fan, X. and Qiu, H.Q., 2014. An Exploratory Study of Demographic Influences on Cruisers’ Motivation and Intention. In: The 19th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism 3-5 January 2014 Houston, TX.
- Fan, X. and Hsu, C.H.C., 2011. Relationship among Expectation, Motivation, and Intention of Chinese Cruise Travelers. In: 2011 17th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Conference 3-6 July 2011 Seoul, Korea.
- Arkadiusz Tomasz Tomczyk, 2023. Personalisation through co-creation, (In progress)
- Kaiti Shang, 2025. Live streamer travel behaviour, (In progress)
- Bohan Liu, 2025. Chinese females’ meaning and intention of travel, (In progress)
- Yo Han Kim, 2026. Social capital and tourism gentrification, (In progress)
- Comparing the operation mechanism, participants’ motivation and wellbeing between community based charities in the UK and China (British Academy, 01 Oct 2022). Completed
- Establishing a wellbeing tracing system in community charity programme participation-Collaboration with Grounded Community (Charity Impact Fund, Bournemouth University, 01 Apr 2022). In Progress
- Nature and Health Today and Tomorrow (ESRC Festival of Social Science 2021, 01 Nov 2021). Awarded
- Promoting West African destinations through digital marketing: Market segmentation, social media optimization and beyond (Higher Education Innovation Fund-Research England, 13 May 2021). Awarded
- Humanising digital tourism experience for senior tourists: Conceptualisation, diagnosis and progression (Bournemouth University-QR funding, 02 Mar 2021). Awarded
- Stay or Move? Exploring Chinese senior empty-nesters’ social wellbeing (Bournemouth University-QR funding, 01 Jul 2019). Awarded
- Towards a Better Quality of Life: Value Co-Creation in Leisure with the Active Elderly (British Academy, 01 Oct 2018). Awarded
- Inclusive Innovation in Tourism for Enhanced Local Experience (British Council / Newton Fund Research Links Programme, 28 Aug 2018). Completed
- Exploring the effects of online and offline social contact on tourists’ experience co-creation (Bournemouth University-Acorn Fund, 19 Jun 2018). Completed
- Exploring tourists’ online social contact and travel experience (Bournemouth University-Early Career Research Funding, 01 Mar 2018). Completed
- Tourism Review, Associate Editor (2021-), http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/editorial_team.htm?id=TR
- Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) UK BU Student Chapter, Lecturer Advisor (2021-)
- Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism, Managing Editor (2020-), https://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=editorialBoard&journalCode=wqah20
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Invited Speaker for the Public Policy Exchange Forum: "Tourism in the UK: Building for the Future and Supporting Further Growth " (26 Mar 2019)
- Invited Speaker for "The Over 50s Holiday Market" hosted by Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) (29 Nov 2018)
- Keynote Speaker for Denkmal-International trade fair for heritage preservation, restoration and museum technology, Moscow, Russia 2019
- Guest Lecturer for The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA) , Moscow, Russia
- Guest Lecture for City University Of Macau
- Guest lecture for Nankai University, China
- PhD in Tourism Management (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2016)
- Thea Sinclair Award for Journal Article Excellence (Sage Publishing, Tourism Economics, 2020)
- 2019 Outstanding Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research Best Paper of the Year (International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (ICHRIE), 2019)
- You're Brilliant Teaching Award (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- British Academy of Management, Member (2020-),
- The Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2020-),
- Leisure Studies Association, Member (2019-),
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2018-),
- Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE) American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute, Member (2017-),
- Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE), Member (2017-),
- International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators (ISTTE), Member (2016-),