Dr Fiona Knight
- 01202 965902
- fknight at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Head of Doctoral College
- Dorset House DG02, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Fiona Knight has a PhD in Mineralogy & Geochemistry from Cardiff University. At Bournemouth University, she is Academic Manager for the Doctoral College and is responsible for the University’s portfolio of postgraduate research degrees. Fiona joined BU in 2003 to establish the Graduate School and also spent time working in the Research Development and Support Office.
Fiona previously worked at Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) and has also worked for various petroleum companies (including BP).
Fiona’s current research interests include postgraduate student mental health and well-being; the evaluation of postgraduate student learning; supervisory. Fiona is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Casey, C., Harvey, O., Taylor, J., Knight, F. and Trenoweth, S., 2022. Exploring the wellbeing and resilience of postgraduate researchers. Journal of Further and Higher Education.
- Stewart, N., Knight, F. and Taylor, J., 2022. Building meaningful postgraduate research communities and the role of the Doctoral College. In: UKCGE International Conference on Developments in Doctoral Education and Training 5-8 April 2022 Online.
- Stewart, N., Taylor, J. and Knight, F., 2020. Preparing for the next phase: Transitional support for postgraduate research students [online]. In: UK Council for Graduate Education Annual Conference 29 June-3 July 2020 Online.
- Stewart, N., Cutler, C., Knight, F. and Taylor, J., 2018. The challenges of developing and supporting a strong research community and culture in a postgraduate research context. In: UK Council for Graduate Education.
- Stewart, N., Cutler, C., Knight, F. and Taylor, J., 2018. The challenges of developing and supporting a strong research community and culture in a postgraduate research context. In: UK Council for Graduate Education Annual Conference.
- Knight, F., Taylor, J., Polkinghorne, M. and Edwards, R., 2017. Non-Academic Research Impact: A Case Study Exploring the Perceived Importance of Non-Academic Impact of Doctoral Students’ Research at Bournemouth University. In: UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE) Annual Conference 2017.
- Chloe Casey. Promoting mental health & wellbeing to build the resilience, capability and capacity of PGRs
- Committee Member, Research Performance and Management Committee
- Committee Member, University Research & Professional Practice Committee
- Committee Member, Faculty of Science and Technology Research Degrees Committee
- Committee Member, Faculty of Health & Social Science Research Degrees Committee
- Secretary, Research Degree Committee
- Programme Leader / Facilitator, Supervisory Development Training (Established Supervisors)
- Programme Leader / Facilitator, Supervisory Development Training (New Supervisors)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in Learning and teaching in higher education (HEA in Teaching in Higher Education (Advance HE), 2019)
- PhD in Geochemistry & Mineralogy (Cardiff University, 2000)
- MSc in Mining Geology (University of Exeter : Camborne School of Mines, 1995)
- BSc (Hons) in Geology (University of Gloucestershire, 1993)