Dr Jeffery Bray
- 01202 965232
- jbray at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
- Dorset House D138, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Jeff Bray is a Consumer Behaviour researcher and educator focused on the societal challenges of sustainable consumption both from an environmental perspective and a personal (health) perspective. This research has received external funding from a variety of sources and generated numerous academic journal publications.
Jeff graduated from Bournemouth University in 2001 with a BA (hons) in Retail Management, from Stirling University in 2004 with a MBA. After a career in a variety of operational retail project management roles he joined Bournemouth University as an academic in 2004 and graduated with a PhD in Consumer Behaviour in 2011. During his time at Bournemouth he has taught a variety of modules related to consumer marketing and behaviour at both UG and PG level, supervised several PhD students and held a number of management roles.
Jeff’s research and scholarship is interdisciplinary and focuses on applications of consumer theory to a variety of contexts. his current research examines consumer decision making with respect to food choice, and the health impact that might be achieved through influencing these choices... This work has been recently funded by EU project FoodSMART (grant 643999) and British Council project Veg+ (grant 332207684).
Outside of the university he is active in promoting our societies young people. He serves as Chair of Governors for a large local school and as non-executive director of Bournemouth Primary Multi-Academy Trust, roles which provide significant strategic leadership experience. He is keen to supervise Doctoral students in the areas Consumer Behaviour, Food Choice and Ethical Consumption.more
Current research projects include:
EU funded project - FoodSMART - 4 year project to develop a mobile phone application to provide food related information to food providers and consumers in a food service setting.
Fellowship with Waitrose providing insight to business decision making.
Which? two funded projects firstly examining in-store consumer grocery shopping behaviours using mobile eye-tracking technology and secondly using fixed eye tracking to examine retailer web-sites.
PhD studentship with China Outsourcing International into the role of 3D printing in changing the relationship between designers, manufacturers and consumers.
PhD studentship examining grocery loyalty reward programmes.
I continue to hold an active interest in the role of ethics in consumer behaviour and am progressing publications in this area.
- De Silva Kanakaratne, M., Bray, J. and Robson, J., 2020. The Influence of National Culture and Industry Structure on Grocery Retail Customer Loyalty. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 54 (May).
- Appleton, K., Bray, J., Price, S., Liebchen, G., Jiang, N. and Hartwell, H., 2019. A SMART PHONE APP FOR THE PROVISION OF PERSONALISED FOOD-BASED INFORMATION IN AN EATING-OUT SITUATION: DEVELOPMENT AND INITIAL EVALUATION. JMIR Formative Research.
- Fletcher, Y. and Bray, J., 2019. The best and worst brands for Customer Service. Which?, September, 18-22.
- Mello Rodrigues, V., Bray, J., Fernandes, A.C., Bernardo, G.L., Hartwell, H., Secchi Martinelli, S., Lazzarin Uggioni, P., Barletto Cavalli, S. and Proenca, R.P.D.C., 2019. Vegetable Consumption and Factors Associated with Increased Intake among College Students: A Scoping Review of the Last 10 Years. Nutrients, 11, 1-28.
- Bray, J., Hartwell, H., Price, S., Viglia, G., Kapuściński, G., Appleton, K., Laure, S., Perez Cueto, A. and Mavridis, I., 2019. Food information presentation: consumer preferences when eating out. British Food Journal.
- Hartwell, H., Appleton, K., Bray, J., Price, S., Mavridis, I., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A. and Ronge, M., 2019. Shaping smarter consumer food choices: The FoodSMART project. Nutrition Bulletin.
- Appleton, K.M. et al., 2019. A mobile phone app for the provision of personalized food-based information in an eating-out situation: Development and initial evaluation. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21 (11).
- Price, S., Bray, J. and Brown, L., 2017. Enabling healthy food choices in the workplace: the canteen operators’ perspective. International Journal of Workplace Health Management.
- Bray, J., 2016. What's really in your shampoo. Which?, 30-33.
- bray, J., Laver, L., McDougall, S. and McIntyre, C., 2014. How on-line shops get you to spend more. Which?, August.
- Bray, J., laver, L., mcintyre, C. and rickman, A., 2014. How Supermarkets get you to Spend More Money. Which?, May.
- Bray, J.P., Johns, N. and Kilburn, D., 2011. An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumption. Journal of Business Ethics, 98 (4), 597-608.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. Looking into the Future of Retailing. The Retail Market "Winners and Losers", Octobe, 15-16.
- Lugosi, P. and Bray, J.P., 2008. Tour guiding, organisational culture and learning: lessons from an entrepreneurial company. International Journal of Tourism Research, 10, 467-479.
- Harris, C. and Bray, J.P., 2007. Price endings and consumer segmentation. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 16, 200-205.
- Bray, J.P. and Harris, C., 2006. The effect of 9-ending prices on retail sales: a quantitative UK based field study. Journal of Marketing Management, 22, 601-617.
- Bray, J., 2015. Ethical Consumption. In: Goworek, H. and McGoldrick, P., eds. Retail Marketing and Management. Pearson.
- Pring, M., Beer, S., Hartwell, H. and Bray, J., 2015. Local Foods: marketing and the destination. In: Sloan, P. and Legrand, W., eds. The Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Food, Beverage and Gastronomy. London: Routledge, 307-314.
- Kanakaratne, M.D.S., Bray, J. and Robson, J., 2019. The Impact of National Culture and Industry Structure on Grocery Retail Customer Loyalty: A Comparative Study of the United Kingdom and Sri Lanka. In: Recent Advances in Retailing and Consumer Science Conference 8-11 July 2019 Tallinn Estonia.
- Kanakaratne, M.D.S., Bray, J. and Robson, J., 2018. Exploring The Influence Of National Culture And Industry Structure On Grocery Retail Customer Loyalty. In: Colloquium on European Research in Retailing 11-13 July 2018 University of Surrey.
- Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Mavridis, I., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2018. FoodSMART: A mobile phone application to provide personalised information on the foods available in an eating out situation. E115.
- Price, S., Mello Rodrigues, V., Bray, J., Perez-Cueto, A., Giboreau, A., Mavridis, I. and Hartwell, H., 2017. FoodSMART: Think Smart, Eat Smarter. In: The Visitor Economy Strategies and Innovations 4-6 September 2017 Bournemouth University.
- Price, S., Mello Rodrigues, V., Bray, J., Perez-Cueto, A., Giboreau, A., Mavridis, I. and Hartwell, H., 2017. A Critical Evaluation of the Current and Future Role of Technology in Eating out Food Choice. In: Inernational Conference on Culinary Arts and Science 6-7 July 2017 Copenhagen.
- Main, E., Kapuscinski, G. and Bray, J., 2017. Women's unworn clothing - the causes and attitudes. In: European Association ofr the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution 4-6 July 2017 Dublin.
- Bray, J., Memery, J. and Johns, N., 2017. Rethinking ethical decision-making: revealing the ‘ethical red line’ and ‘ethical clouding’ in consumer clothing purchases. In: European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution 4-6 July 2017 Dublin.
- Price, S., Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Reasons for consuming in a workplace canteen, factors affecting meal choice, and the perceived value of additional information on workplace canteen meals. In: Nutrition Society 11-14 July 2016 Dublin.
- Price, S., Appleton, K., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Important information for the selection of workplace canteen meals: A consumer segmentation. In: Nutrition Society 11-14 July 2016 Dublin.
- Kanakaratne, M.D.S., Bray, J. and McIntyre, C., 2016. The Impact of cultural and structural differences on grocery retail consumer loyalty and their implications on grocery retail loyalty programme design: A cross-cultural study of the United Kingdom and Sri Lanka. In: Bournemouth University Annual Postgraduate Research Conference 9-10 March 2016 Bournemouth University.
- Price, S., Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Reasons for consuming in a workplace canteen, factors affecting meal choice, and the perceived value of additional information on workplace canteen meals. E225.
- Price, S., Appleton, K.M., Bray, J., Giboreau, A., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Mavridis, I., Ronge, M. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Important information for the selection of workplace canteen meals: A consumer segmentation study. E134.
- Bray, J., 2015. New Consumer Insights. In: Festival of Learning 11 June 2014 Bournemouth.
- Kanakaratne, M.D.S., Bray, J. and McIntyre, C., 2015. The Impact of cultural and structural differences on grocery retail consumer loyalty and their implications on grocery retail loyalty programme design: A cross-cultural study of the United Kingdom and Sri Lanka. In: 1st Academy of Marketing Consumer Research SIG PhD Colloquium 27 April 2015 University of Chester.
- Bray, J., 2015. Grocery Sector Service Changes. In: Waitrose Service Champions Conference 26 March 2015 Bracknell, UK.
- McIntyre, C., Bray, J. and Laver, L., 2014. The use of Mobile Eye-tracking in Evaluating Retail Store Design. In: 2nd INTERNATIONAL COLLOQUIUM ON DESIGN, BRANDING AND MARKETING BM) 9-10 December 2014 Nottingham Trent University.
- Bray, J., 2014. Towards an Understanding of Ethical Consumer Decision Making. In: The European Institute of Retailing and Services Studies 7-10 July 2014 Bucharest.
- Bray, J., 2014. Towards an Understanding of Ethical Consumer Decision Making. In: 5th Annual IFT-BU E-conference. Tourism and Retail Shopping 10 April 2014 Bournemouth.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumerism. In: European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution Annual Conference 15-18 July 2009 Guilford, UK.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. Ethical Dimensions in Clothing Purchase. In: First Annual Ethics in Everyday Life Conference 17-19 March 2009 Salzburg.
- Bray, J.P. and Moital, M., 2009. Assessment Feedback using Comment Banks: New Methods. In: Education Enhancement Conference 2009 21 May 2009 Bournemouth University.
- Bray, J.P., 2008. Ethics in Fashion Purchasing Behaviour: A Conceptual Framework. In: The European Institute of Retail and Services Studies 15th International Conference on Recent Advances in Retailing and Services Science 14-17 July 2008 Zagreb, Croatia.
- Bray, J.P. and Berger, D., 2008. Retail Innovation - The never-ending road to success? A critical analysis of pitfalls and opportunities. In: Timmermans, H., ed. European Institute of Retailing and Services Studies Annual Conference 14-17 July 2008 Zagreb. European Institute of Retailing and Services Studies.
- Bray, J.P., 2007. Pod-Casting to Enrich Teaching Practice. In: Learning and Teaching Conference 15 May 2007 Bournemouth, England.
- Bray, J.P., 2006. Assessment Feedback Using Comment Banks: A Useful Approach? In: Bournemouth University ‘Releasing Potential’ Conference 16 May 2006 Bournemouth.
- Bray, J.P., Chambers, C. and Kavanagh, E.J., 2006. Pod-casting: Reflections on a Year of Practice. In: Bournemouth University Learning and Teaching Conference 16 May 2006 Bournemouth, England.
- Bray, J.P. and Harris, C., 2006. Price Endings and Consumer Responses. In: European Association of Education and Research in Commercial Distribution, Social and Experiential Retailing : 9th International Conference on Retailing and Commercial Distribution Teaching and Research Issues 27-30 June 2006 Brunel University, England.
- Bray, J.P., 2005. Get Back to Basics? What are the Basics and How do we get Back to them? In: The Retail Forum 22-24 June 2005 Oriana (Ship sailing from Southampton).
- Bray, J.P., 2005. The Importance of Trust in the Relationships Retailers Hold with their Consumers. In: The Retail Forum 22-24 June 2005 Oriana (Ship sailing from Southampton).
- Bray, J.P., 2005. Location Location Location - Current Issues within Retailing? In: The Retail Forum 22-24 June 2005 Oriana (Ship sailing from Southampton).
- Bray, J.P., 2005. Exploring the Relationship Between Price Vs. Quality and Alternative Methods of Promoting Without Devaluing your Product. In: Marketing Week: International Point of Purchase and Brand Experiences Conference 28 September 2005 Waldorf Hilton, London.
- Bray, J. and kilburn, D.. Fellowships for Fusion. In: Fusion in Action: Knowledge exchange with students, society 18 April 2012 Bournemouth, UK.
- Bray, J.. The role of ethics is consumer decision making. In: EIRASS 9-12 July 2012 Vienna, Austria.
- Bray, J., 2014. Grocery Sector Dynamics. Waitrose Management Conference.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. Fashionitis. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bray, J.P., 2009. How Relevant are Ethical Retail Positionings in a Recession?. Bright Blue Day Ltd. Available from: http://www.brightblueday.co.uk/assets/files/KnowledgePDFs/BBD_insight_destination.pdf.
- Bray, J.P., 2008. Consumer Behaviour Theory: Approaches and Models. Unpublished.
- Shepherd, R.S., Bray, J.P. and Harris, C., 2005. Research into the Market Demand for Retail FdA. London: Skillsmart Retail.
- Bray, J. and Hartwell, H., 2017. The key to eating five fruit and veg a day might just be to make them more tasty. The Conversation.
- Bray, J. and Hartwell, H., 2017. What hospital catering could learn from the prison system. The Conversation.
- Bray, J. and Hartwell, H., 2017. How to stop your lunch break damaging your health.
- Bray, J.P., 2011. A Critical evaluation into the role of ethics in clothing purchase decisions. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University; School of Tourism.
- Louise Spencer. critA critical evalutation into the impact of digital technologies on the design and production processes within the artisan jewellery genre, examining the changing roles of designer, producer and consumer.
- Maheshan De Silva Kanakaratne. Loyalty programmes in the grocery sector
Profile of Teaching PG
- Retail Marketing and Consumer Behaviour
- Domestic and International Retailing Principles and Practice
- Marketing and Consumer Behaviour, Marketing for Retail, Final Year Consultancy Project, Dissertation
Profile of Teaching UG
- Consumer Experience and Behaviour
- Services Marketing
- International Retailing
- “Get back to basics? What are the basics and how can we get back to them?!” The Retail Forum
- “The importance of Trust in the relationship retailers hold with their consumers” The Retail Forum, Oriana
- “Location, Location, Location – current issues within Retailing” The Retail Forum
- . “Exploring the Relationship Between Price Vs. Quality and Alternative Methods of Promoting Without Devaluing your Product” Marketing Week
- . “The Role of Ethics in Consumption Behaviour” Inaugural lecture in the Marketing Seminar Series, Victoria University Melbourne Australia
- Veg+ (British Council, 01 Apr 2018). Awarded
- Shampoo Marketing Analysis (Which?, 01 Jan 2016). Awarded
- FoodSMART (EU, 01 Jan 2015). Awarded
- Personal Design and Manufacture through 3D printing - PhD Studentship (China Outsourcing International, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Hall & Woodhouse CPD programme (Hall & Woodhouse, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Retailer web-site eyetracking (Which?, 01 May 2014). Completed
- Corinthia Hotels CPD programme (Corinthia Hotels, 01 Mar 2014). Awarded
- Grocery Store Eyetracking (Which?, 02 Feb 2014). Awarded
- Waitrose Fellowship 2 (Waitrose ltd, 01 Feb 2014). Awarded
- Waitrose Fellowship (Waitrose ltd, 01 May 2011). Awarded
- Resource Development International, External Examiner (2012-)
- Magna Carta College Oxford, External Examiner (2011-)
- University Campus Suffolk, External Examiner MBA (2008-2012)
- PhD in Consumer Behaviour (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PG Cert in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- MBA in Retailing (University of Stirling, 2007)
- BA (Hons) in Retail Management (Bournemouth University, 2000)
- Excellence in teaching award (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- European Association for the Education and Research in Commercial Distribution, Member,
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Skillsmart skillshop steering group., Member,
External Media and Press
- Eight shampoo claims that don't quite stack up, Which?, 20 Apr 2016. http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/04/eight-shampoo-claims-that-dont-quite-stack-up-440055/